Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

I have always been a big automation fan and our home has plenty. Part of the reason I purchased the S200 was the simplicity. Before getting a robot I had a suction cleaner that worked well and lived in the pool full time. I never really liked the look but didn't want to deal with the hose. With that being said I will stick to dropping "Phin" in the pool 2-3 times a week or as needed. Love the pool with no full time cleaner hanging out...

The S300i has cleaning features that are activated from the App that can not be replicated through automation such as Ultra Clean mode and Tile- or Floor-only mode. Scheduling can certainly be duplicate through home automation, and even improved upon a bit, but that’s about it.

If you have an automation panel, such as an EasyTouch, then automating the robot through there using one of the relays to drive a standard 120V outlet would be a good way to tie the cleaner into an existing scheduling system. One could even get a second power cord, chop the plug end off of it and then simply hardwire that to a relay. Doing it through a panel with a surge suppressor would also help to protect the robot from power surges.

Good points. As you mention, I was considering using one of the pool computer relays to turn on the cleaner, but was too lazy to take the panel off and wire it up. But you are spot on with the idea.

Do you know if the 300i Ultra Clean and Quick Clean are just timing issues, or does the robot actually move faster or use a different pattern when these are selected? Just curious.

I wanted to let everyone know that I was able to get the rebate from Maytronics for an S300i when ordering from Marina. I received and registered on 5/12 and received my rebate check last night. I think that might be the fastest rebate check I have ever received.

Of course your mileage may vary, but thought I would share since it was a question recently.

Same here. That's the fastest and most pain free rebate I've ever had processed. Maytronics and Marina both get a big thumbs up!

Good points. As you mention, I was considering using one of the pool computer relays to turn on the cleaner, but was too lazy to take the panel off and wire it up. But you are spot on with the idea.

Do you know if the 300i Ultra Clean and Quick Clean are just timing issues, or does the robot actually move faster or use a different pattern when these are selected? Just curious.

Quick clean just runs a shorter faster cycle while Ultra mode, I think, runs the water pump at higher flow rate. Floor-only and Tile Line scrub are only accessible through the App.

Re:  Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

New member here and just so I'm clear, there's essentially no difference to the Doheny's badged cleaner, the Dolphin Active series, and the Dolphin S Series correct? And the 2 series and 3 series are mechanically identical with the only difference being the inclusion of some accessibility and software upgrades and a cart?

The S300i has cleaning features that are activated from the App that can not be replicated through automation such as Ultra Clean mode and Tile- or Floor-only mode. Scheduling can certainly be duplicate through home automation, and even improved upon a bit, but that’s about it.

If you have an automation panel, such as an EasyTouch, then automating the robot through there using one of the relays to drive a standard 120V outlet would be a good way to tie the cleaner into an existing scheduling system. One could even get a second power cord, chop the plug end off of it and then simply hardwire that to a relay. Doing it through a panel with a surge suppressor would also help to protect the robot from power surges.
I think this may be a bad idea. As it was being talked about earlier starting on post 1103 it seems leaving your robot in the water might lead to premature failure.

Or maybe I'm not understanding how one would automate it without having it in the pool full time?

- - - Updated - - -

New member here and just so I'm clear, there's essentially no difference to the Doheny's badged cleaner, the Dolphin Active series, and the Dolphin S Series correct? And the 2 series and 3 series are mechanically identical with the only difference being the inclusion of some accessibility and software upgrades and a cart?

Not sure if this answers your question, but post 836 has a link that shows the comparable models.

If the relay is wired to its own circuit breaker (GFCI breaker) then one can throw the breaker if the robot needs to come out of the pool. Yes, leaving the robot in shortens it’s lifespan but, many people do it that way and Maytronics has no issue with, so it’s not unreasonable to do so. What a person should do is take it out on a weekly basis, hose it all down and let it dry out for 24 hours; that would be a good weekly maintenance routine.

If the relay is wired to its own circuit breaker (GFCI breaker) then one can throw the breaker if the robot needs to come out of the pool. Yes, leaving the robot in shortens it’s lifespan but, many people do it that way and Maytronics has no issue with, so it’s not unreasonable to do so. What a person should do is take it out on a weekly basis, hose it all down and let it dry out for 24 hours; that would be a good weekly maintenance routine.
I guess that is the issue... just because Maytronics doesn't say "don't leave in water" doesn't mean it is right. As posted earlier, someone that has left multiple robots in the water has seen multiple premature failures. If that possibility is OK with you then that is your prerogative.

I'd rather drag it out a few times a week than have a $700 fail in 25 months. lol

I guess that is the issue... just because Maytronics doesn't say "don't leave in water" doesn't mean it is right. As posted earlier, someone that has left multiple robots in the water has seen multiple premature failures. If that possibility is OK with you then that is your prerogative.

I'd rather drag it out a few times a week than have a $700 fail in 25 months. lol

This is what I say. You can leave it in the pool, but expect a shorter lifespan and for the overall condition of the machine to suffer considerably.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, after using my Active 20 for a week, all I can say is save your money (on the cord). The swivel is so hard to turn that it does not really help at all in avoiding tangles. I have to manually untangle it every other time it cleans.

Last edited:
Well, after using my Active 20 for a week, all I can say is save your money. The swivel is so hard to turn that it does not really help at all in avoiding tangles. I have to manually untangle it every other time it cleans.

My manual suggests that when the cord gets that way lay it out flat and stretched out on cement pool deck or driveway in the sun. Let the warmth of the sun help loosen up any curls in the cord.

Maddie :flower:

Well, after using my Active 20 for a week, all I can say is save your money. The swivel is so hard to turn that it does not really help at all in avoiding tangles. I have to manually untangle it every other time it cleans.

You might inquire with Maytronics and consider warranty service. It doesn’t make any sense that the swivel doesn’t turn. If it requires that much force to turn it, then something sounds wrong.

Maddie's suggestion helped me, laid in sun after relaxing the rotation in the cord.

I tried our Triton equivalent in three pools and found it tangled the least in the largest pool (15k gal) and the most in the smallest (10k gal), so maybe tangling can be reduced a bit by putting less cord in the water.

I find that the less cable in the pool, the less chance of any tangles. So I lay all the cable on the pool deck (it’s always coiled in “over/under to prevent tangles) then when I put the robot in, I only put just enough cable in to allow it to reach the far corner. It could always pull more cable from the deck, if I misjudged, but that seems pretty rare.

Great thread, and thanks for all the helpful info.

I just got off the phone with Marina (Margaret) and I have an S200 on the way! Now to find a name....would Netanyahu be too long? Maybe "Bibi"...lol. Could also go with Gal (Gadot)or Bar (Refaeli)?

The new liner is going to stay clean forever! haha.

gtJvkUwh.jpg

8JzlJqGh.jpg

They can handle dog hair...right?

C0XKPNZl.jpg

Great thread, and thanks for all the helpful info.

I just got off the phone with Marina (Margaret) and I have an S200 on the way! Now to find a name....would Netanyahu be too long? Maybe "Bibi"...lol. Could also go with Gal (Gadot)or Bar (Refaeli)?

The new liner is going to stay clean forever! haha.

gtJvkUwh.jpg

8JzlJqGh.jpg

They can handle dog hair...right?

C0XKPNZl.jpg
Congrats! I just ordered a S300 from Marina today for my sister. She was sold after seeing my A30i that I just got last week. Don't forget to apply the rebate code when you register your robot. Fingers crossed that it will work as some has reported.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.