Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

It came (Triton PS)!!!!
Had it’s first run last night, wife was impressed (is that all I need to do???) and kids followed it around and named it “Sammie” (why I have no idea)…

Two questions however:
1) Read somewhere to store upside down so weight isn’t on the tracks, this sound right??? Manual just says to store on caddy (which I do not have)

2) Also mentions not to run in water with a FC above 3 or 4 (looked this morning and forgot which one it was when I got to work) any validity to this??????, think I’m around the 4.5 mark.

The S200 and S300 are the same cleaner with different controllers. The S300 has a quick clean option and something else.

It is safe for your robot to swim with FC up to shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA], same as it is for you

Store the robot on its side, or top or on a 2x4 or two to keep it off of the brushes and tracks.

Sammie is short for samich which is short for sandwich. :)

Just ordered the Active 30 from Marina pool and spa. It comes with the Caddy so it seemed to make the most sense pricewise to me.

They were very helpful and fast. They said four days for it to arrive in New York from Colorado. Now the wait begins! I hate waiting for new toys!!

Re:  Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

I am a longtime owner of the Aquabot Turbo and I also hate cleaning the filter bag. It is a real chore especially when very dirty. I have also noticed on my previous liner, that Aquabot wore the color off the corners at the water line where it struggled to get around the corner. I hesitate to use the robot to clean the pool because of these issues. The Aquabot always did a great job cleaning my pool, but it has long since ceased being my everyday pool cleaner.

I was thinking about getting a cleaner that hooked to into the return line when I came upon this thread. It appears the owners of the Discovery are very happy with it, although most seem to be first time owners of robotic cleaners. The various models and brand names confuse me. Reading this thread nearly has me convinced just to retire my Aquabot and replace it with a new robot rather than mess with hoses to the return line.

So now my task is to sort through all the models and brand names and figure out the differences.

To those that leave the cleaner in the pool all the time, I would never do that with my Aquabot. The plastic gets brittle and I've had to repair and reinforce the plastic handle and many other plastic parts that are well past their prime. Maybe these new robots are better.

I have decided to get the Active 30 robot for $800 which comes with a caddy. I dont see dohenys dropping their price so i read through this thread and decided on the A30.

I don't know how this would compare with the S300, but the active 30 has a fast and slow cleaning mode. I can also set the cleaning schedule with my phone and move with robot via bluetooth (I doubt i would use this feature anyways). Hopefully a great but over the s300 for the price.

Welcome to the forum Psyclone! (Very cool handle BTW)

As that goes, I would guess so. My unit has spent a majority of his life in the water, and no brittleness issues have arisen. Not casting aspersions, but maybe you have some water chemistry at play as well? Mine is well managed, but I have extremely hard and alkaline water. In any event, you'd be pleased with one of these with top loading basket, or cart filter options. They aren't a chore to clean at all really.

I have decided to get the Active 30 robot for $800 which comes with a caddy. I dont see dohenys dropping their price so i read through this thread and decided on the A30.

I don't know how this would compare with the S300, but the active 30 has a fast and slow cleaning mode. I can also set the cleaning schedule with my phone and move with robot via bluetooth (I doubt i would use this feature anyways). Hopefully a great but over the s300 for the price.

The active30 and S300 are the same cleaner. Active 20 is same as S200. Active30i is same as S300i.

Welcome to the forum Psyclone! (Very cool handle BTW)

As that goes, I would guess so. My unit has spent a majority of his life in the water, and no brittleness issues have arisen. Not casting aspersions, but maybe you have some water chemistry at play as well? Mine is well managed, but I have extremely hard and alkaline water. In any event, you'd be pleased with one of these with top loading basket, or cart filter options. They aren't a chore to clean at all really.

I've actually been a member of this forum for 10 years, but I guess it's the first time I've posted here. My username goes back to the days when the Mosaic browser gave real life to the Internet, although I use a different username now for new registrations because Psyclone seems to already be taken too often. My Internet history goes back even further than that when I used to "surf" the Internet with a command line "browser" called Lynx.

My water chemistry is fine as I learned a long time ago how to take care of it properly from Ben at the now abandon poolsolutions.com and poolforum.com.

I just looked up how long I have had my Aquabot and I guess it's well past time for a new one. I got it in 2000. It must have been 7 or 8 years old when the handle broke and I had to fix it. Other plastic parts and minor repairs were needed over it's lifetime. It was rare for me to leave it in the pool for long periods of time, beyond the 8 hour cleaning cycle. I replaced the belts a few times, but everything else still works. A friend of mine also bought one, but his quit on him so he gave it to me so I really have two of them. I was going to use it for replacement parts, but when I checked it out, it worked. I'll be giving it back to him.

The reason I posted was because I know I loved my Aquabot for many years. It's cleaning ability is outstanding, but I've always hated dealing with the dirty bag. I have some disposable bags, but they don't collect the fine crud that the regular bag can get. I figure almost any 1st time robot owner is going to love their machine. I was hoping to get some feedback from a former Aquabot owner that has moved into the Discovery robot. Other than cleaning the bag, the Aquabot sets a pretty high bar. I would hate to get a replacement that disappoints me in some way relative to the Aquabot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is the phone feature worth having? And can you control the movement/direction of the robot with the phone app?

There's an onscreen joystick. The novelty wears off after the first ten minutes. I had a remote control on my last Dolphin. You activated by dragging the submerged robot to the desired location/orientation by its cord. Problem solved. The S300 and S300i had similar functionality early on but then Maytronics dumbed-down the S300 features. Not the strongest selling point, in my opinion.

Just got my Active 20, it cleans nicely but noticed two problems: 1) When I program it for every day cleaning at the same time (program #1), the cord gets tangled after the second day. Guess I need to remove it from the pool every day (and clean the filter) but a little annoying since that is the purpose of programming it. 2) The controller module is supposed not to be under direct sun. Unfortunately the wall with the GFCI outlet is exposed to the sun. Any recommendations on how to solve these two problems? Thanks!

Is the phone feature worth having? And can you control the movement/direction of the robot with the phone app?

Well, I actually find this feature helpful. When the robot is at the other end of the pool and not in a place I want to pull it up from, I drive it over to myself. I've also used it to get specific spots and I once played with the tilt feature to scrub the tile line myself. I maybe use it 5% of the time so while not a whole lot, it is a convenience feature to have.

I don't remove mine to empty it or detangle the cord most of the time. It stays in at least 3, 4, 5 days or more when there isn't too much debris in the pool. The cord twists up some but it doesn't impair the performance of the robot.

Well, I actually find this feature helpful. When the robot is at the other end of the pool and not in a place I want to pull it up from, I drive it over to myself. I've also used it to get specific spots and I once played with the tilt feature to scrub the tile line myself. I maybe use it 5% of the time so while not a whole lot, it is a convenience feature to have.

It's designed to be dragged over by the cord (obviously while it's submerged). I also did this with my previous Dolphin which is still usable after 15 or so years.

It's designed to be dragged over by the cord (obviously while it's submerged). I also did this with my previous Dolphin which is still usable after 15 or so years.

Yes, I understand that. But it's faster and easier to drive it to me then yank it by the cord and drag it 38 feet across my pool. And my kids think it's cool to have a robot that you can drive with the phone....

Just got my Active 20, it cleans nicely but noticed two problems: 1) When I program it for every day cleaning at the same time (program #1), the cord gets tangled after the second day. Guess I need to remove it from the pool every day (and clean the filter) but a little annoying since that is the purpose of programming it. 2) The controller module is supposed not to be under direct sun. Unfortunately the wall with the GFCI outlet is exposed to the sun. Any recommendations on how to solve these two problems? Thanks!

Are you handy? I plan to make a simple little box out of something that will hold up outside. Maybe a material like cedar, pressure treated wood, trex decking scraps, etc...

I currently have a cleaner and I just purchased the A20...

What should I do with my cleaner pump, which I won't need anymore after I get the A20? I'm concerned that if I just turn the pump off, algae will form in the pipes that leads to my pool.

I think someone will tell me to just leave it on, even though nothing is connected to the eyelet in the pool. If that's the case, how often and how long would you leave it on for?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.