My PH went down after adding Borax?

pisstol27

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 25, 2012
Smithtown, NY (Long Island)
Just got my pool up and running a few days ago and tested the PH, which was on the low end (about 7.2) so I added about 3.5 lbs of Borax yesterday into the skimmer. I checked the levels this morning and the PH went down a little. I've never had a this problem before so not sure what my next step is. My levels are below. Alkalinity is a bit low so maybe i add some baking soda first? I did have the heater running yesterday after putting the borax in but I'm not sure if that would be the cause. Any tips would be appreciated.

FC 3.4
CC 0
PH 7.1
AK - 55
CH 75
CYA 0 (will get that up to 50)

I think I'd bring the TA up first, see how it and PH stands, then add borax as needed. Maybe to around 70 initially. Mine stays happy and stable around 60 but I also never had a low PH since dropping pucks and going SWG :) 7.2-7.1 though is on the low end where I think it's had to read anyway and also off some, could have been lower than it looked before or a little higher now. Anything else added that could be lowering PH? I'll be interested in seeing the more expert responses as well though, if not just a little variance being so low and hard to test I'd be wondering the same thing!

I added 10 lbs of Baking Soda which upped my AK to 75 as expected. My PH also went up to about 7.5 without having to add any more Borax. I'm not sure if that increase was a result of just the Baking Soda, or if somehow increasing the AK allowed the Borax effect to kick in. Either way, I will continue to monitor levels daily for awhile to make sure they stay consistent.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.