Chems in hot pool

As I see it, you're dealing with several different issues. First and foremost, you need to get your FC up. For a CYA of 50, you need to keep it around 6 ppm and never lower than 4ppm, especially with your temps. You might be able to bump your CYA up a tad to 60-70 to account for chlorine loss for the sun, but then you would need to keep your FC even higher, so keep that in mind.

Second, your CH is a little on the high side. Only way to lower is a partial drain and refill (250-350 for plaster is ideal). But the question is, what is the CH of your fill water?

I lowered my pool temp from 94 to 87 in one night by running my water features on high for 6 hours, so it is doable. You need aeration and at night is the key

Thanks. I do try to keep FC at 6ppm, but now that summer temps are here it falls rapidly.
1) Should I be testing more than once in the AM?
2) If yes, the pool gets full sun all day, with the exception of two 11'x11' cantilever umbrellas. Can I get good FC in full sun?
3) Will it harm pool/equipment to leave CH elevated? My CH is 550 today (repeated 2x's), and fill water is 225. Understand partial drain, but we're in a drought so I have to get a permit and if like last year pay a $100 fine for water use.

Keep your pH on the low side of our range (7.2 - 7.4) and you can likely work around the CH problem. Replace it if you can but that CH is manageable with pH control.

How do you chlorinate?

I use 10% calcium chloride. Usually get it at HomeDepot, Walmart or Leslies, which ever one is cheapest.

Chlorinate once per day, and do try to keep it at 6+. Considering doing it more frequently due to summer light/heat, heavy summer swimming, and our Boxer is in and out multiple times a day. Any thoughts on more frequent chlorination?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.