Does Chlorine Ruin pool Liners

Jun 13, 2016
toms river nj
I am concerned that a high chlorine level will ruin the pool liner . My pool is light green went to pool store and they sold me a quart of algeaside and said wait 24 hours and vacuum to waste. I did this 6/19/16 at 3pm . Pool still light green . My chlorine is at a 4

A high chlorine level can fade a liner more quickly. However, it depends on how much CYA is in the pool relative to the chlorine level in the pool. If you maintained a FC level of 1 ppm with 0 ppm CYA, that would be MUCH harsher on your pool liner than 10 ppm FC level with 50 ppm CYA. Understanding how CYA greatly moderates the strength of hypochlorite and holds most FC in reserve is central to what we teach here at TFP. It's seldom explained or understood by pool stores or pool builders.

Pool Water Chemistry

A high chlorine level unprotected by stabilizer may over time bleach your pool liner. So will sunlight. Raising the chlorine level in your pool while doing a SLAM as we advise here -- won't generally harm your liner.

Algaicide will not kill algae once established. It is a preventative. Some of the copper ones might, but they add copper. Do you have full test results? If you do post them and we can help.

Suggestion. Get a good test kit, read the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry in Pool School and free yourself from the pool store.

If you do as we suggest on here your will be rid of your alage forever in a week.

Waht JVTrain said... Safe levels depend on your CYA levels have you had a chance to take a look at the Pool School link? If not start with the ABC's once you are done with that there is a chlorine / CYA chart in the handy reference section that will give you ranges to keep your FC aka chlorine level depending or your CYA level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.