Summer covers? Leaving for vacation, need a summer cover that doesn't heat up.

The standard light blue covers are probably the most available and actually best suited for not trying to gain as much heat as a clear cover. If you leave a standard blue cover on all the time and only run the pump in the early morning, late evening or at night, you'll minimize heat gain as well as block most UV during the day. The thinner the better to minimize heat gain. I would periodically take the cover off overnight to allow heat loss and allow the pool to outgas a bit. There are those space age covers, but I believe they are always 12mm and designed to retain heat.

Any solid cover will help the pool retain heat by reducing evaporation. Unless it completely blocks light, you will get algae growth. There are black covers that are intended to go under winter covers to block light.

Not really much value in covering the pool. Just keep it chlorinated either by shocking before you leave or having someone dump a gallon of bleach every couple of days and clean up the result when you get back.

Not really much value in covering the pool. Just keep it chlorinated either by shocking before you leave or having someone dump a gallon of bleach every couple of days and clean up the result when you get back.

Being an engineer, I tend to overthink these things, however, being a neophyte pool owner, I don't want to do something stupid either. Going back to the aluminized radiant barrier, wouldn't it block light as well as keeping the pool from heating up, at least that's how I see it. Wrong?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.