Guide my wife's anger (at pool store)

May 11, 2016
MD
So she is finally realizing that this site is right, and the pool store is wrong. She wants me to go up to the pool store and talk to the owner about everything they did, and how they ruined it and made us spend 500 bucks that I have now been spending way more than that to try to correct.

Problem is CYA the most of course if any of you have seen what I have been posting lately. as it is about 100... maybe a little more... I can't really drain and fill so easily... And sadly I now have to SLAM the darn thing.... Probably between me figuring out what I really needed to be putting in and the last "shock" from the pool store has done me in...

I am in the process of lowering PH to start this process...

Anyways... back to the pool store... Is it even worth talking to them? ... I don't think it is... but my wife wants me to go make them aware of how they screwed me over and try to get some money back out of them... and sell them back the stuff they sold me. still in boxes and tubs...

I really don't mind confrontation. I kind of like it actually... but I don't like wasting time either..

Guess all places are different, and just maybe they will at least buy back the 100's in stuff i have sitting around to help me pay for my SLAM as i know they won't buy me a truck full of water to fix the problems they gave me...

Thoughts? Listen to the wife? Not to?... has anyone tried, or had success?

I don't think anger and confrontation will get you much. If you can return the unopened stuff for a refund, I'd just chalk it up to learning experience and move on.

If draining and refilling isn't much of an option, it's not the end of the world. Manage FC based on the chart in my signature, redirect gutter spouts into the pool if possible with knee highs over the ends to trap trash, whatever you can for "free" water.

They might take back unopened chemicals, but not much more than that. If pool stores gave refunds based on lack of results then they would go out of business. There is another thread about someone who was very incorrectly told by a new employee to dump in so much acid that they probably damaged their pool and equipment. They were offered a single bucket of baking soda (and told to buy another). Quite the business model, huh?

I would be diplomatic... though if they got angry at me, it would be returned... Just my wife is tiny but mighty, she would not go with me, but yeah... the refund is what I would ask :)

- - - Updated - - -

They might take back unopened chemicals, but not much more than that. If pool stores gave refunds based on lack of results then they would go out of business. There is another thread about someone who was very incorrectly told by a new employee to dump in so much acid that they probably damaged their pool and equipment. They were offered a single bucket of baking soda (and told to buy another). Quite the business model, huh?

Baking soda.. guess by law they are not responsible unless somehow you can prove they damaged it and you got a lawyer.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think anger and confrontation will get you much. If you can return the unopened stuff for a refund, I'd just chalk it up to learning experience and move on.

If draining and refilling isn't much of an option, it's not the end of the world. Manage FC based on the chart in my signature, redirect gutter spouts into the pool if possible with knee highs over the ends to trap trash, whatever you can for "free" water.

I think my CYA may be higher than i thought... though it has always been over 7 except for part of a day a while back as i was trying to get it right... i am aiming for about 14 to be safe when all is said and done... after SLAMING

Just keep a SMILE plastered on your face. Even if you have to force it, SMILE while you go in to return the stuff.

You can talk to them but it would be a waste of time. They have their ways that fits their business model. I would not bother "teaching" them. Go in and return the stuff then walk out. BUT do not burn any bridges just in case you need a metal test or a part they have in stock that you need THAT day. :rolleyes: You just never know.

If your wife needs to purge her anger she can write them a letter then burn it. It works for me. I just have to get it out and that works for me.

Kim:cat:

They're the "throw chemicals at everything" side of things. There's a place for that and it works for most people/situations. Just because there's another way doesn't make them bad people.

Taking your business away is the meanest and most satisfying thing you can do. Mentioning to your friends who have pools that you have better water now that you ditched the store is the next level. Going into the store with anger? Not so good.

Just keep a SMILE plastered on your face. Even if you have to force it, SMILE while you go in to return the stuff.

You can talk to them but it would be a waste of time. They have their ways that fits their business model. I would not bother "teaching" them. Go in and return the stuff then walk out. BUT do not burn any bridges just in case you need a metal test or a part they have in stock that you need THAT day. :rolleyes: You just never know.

If your wife needs to purge her anger she can write them a letter then burn it. It works for me. I just have to get it out and that works for me.

Kim:cat:

All depends on what they say, or try to argue with me over returning the stuff... I guess if they just say no... i leave, and find another place to close the pool... kind of scared to do it as things can go wrong if done wrong... Even a plumber friend was scared to close his own pool...

I would be diplomatic... though if they got angry at me, it would be returned... Just my wife is tiny but mighty, she would not go with me, but yeah... the refund is what I would ask :)

I think my CYA may be higher than i thought... though it has always been over 7 except for part of a day a while back as i was trying to get it right... i am aiming for about 14 to be safe when all is said and done... after SLAMING

Have you done the CYA test with a diluted sample. 50% pool water 50% tap water?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
+-10 isn't a big deal. You can certainly run with CYA 100- you're just going to need to keep the chlorine level up. (Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart) As you can see in the chart the real danger is if you need to SLAM you could need a tanker truck of chlorine so keep a watchful eye on your levels, brush, vacuum, etc.

that was my fear of learning about CYA... was knowing it was high and if this ever became a problem. need to get to 39 FC will take 10 gallons or 8 i guess from where it is now

I know just how your wife feels -- I too am pretty mad at my local pool store -- I feel very misled, taken advantage of, and cheated. But I have chosen to not go and confront them.

I would probably not feel any better... and it's just not in me to cause a fuss. The fault really lies with me -- when I got a pool in the first place I should have been more proactive about learning the chemistry behind the water maintenance.

Their "throwing chemicals at it" philosophy is based on their business model ( making money ) and their desire to make it "easy" for pool owners. They rely on blind trust, and most pool owners (especially new ones) are willing to give it.

That doesn't make it right in every sense, but I do understand where they are coming from. I'm just sorry I didn't take control of my water sooner! It feels good to be there now. Thanks, TFP ♥

I was in the same boat this year before I found this site. My local pool company won't take back any chemical regardless of if it's opened or not. I'd just forget it, and move on. These guys on here are great. They got my pool situated pretty quickly.

As far as CYA, you can just backwash and refill alot, that's what I've been doing, though I wasn't at a 100. Or just drain a little bit and refill every now and then.

Here is the other thing to remember. Unless it is an independent pool store, most likely you are going to be talking to some high school kid with a part time job behind the counter. He did not set store policy, he did not even know he was doing anything wrong - he took the stores "training" and followed it. Getting angry at him or her is not going to change a thing. Now, if you can find the store manager, or perhaps contact somebody in corporate - then that is a different story, but many times the people behind the counter are just following the "education" the pool store gave them.

And, as other have said, pool stores do have uses - I buy dry acid, pool lube, and the occassional part from mine. Yeah, muriatic is cheaper, but it seems not by much, and I like keeping a bucket of dry acid on hand. For the 2 or 3 times a year when I have to adjust pH with it, the difference in cost is minuimal.

-dave

Here is the other thing to remember. Unless it is an independent pool store, most likely you are going to be talking to some high school kid with a part time job behind the counter. He did not set store policy, he did not even know he was doing anything wrong - he took the stores "strining" and followed it. Getting angry at him or her is not going to change a thing. Now, if you can find the store manager, or perhaps contact somebody in corporate - then that is a different story, but many times the people behind the counter are just following the "education" the pool store gave them.

And, as other have said, pool stores do have uses - I buy dry acid, pool lube, and the occassional part from mine. Yeah, muriatic is cheaper, but it seems not by much, and I like keeping a bucket of dry acid on hand. For the 2 or 3 times a year when I have to adjust pH with it, the difference in cost is minuimal.

-dave

I know who the owner is... I wasn't going to plan on educating them... I know the girl out front knows nothing... maybe not even the woman that has been there for years... though unless the owner is in, they would be the ones handling the returns...

May just donate it if they don't take it to another poor pool owner who likes the stuff.

I know just how your wife feels -- I too am pretty mad at my local pool store -- I feel very misled, taken advantage of, and cheated. But I have chosen to not go and confront them.

I would probably not feel any better... and it's just not in me to cause a fuss. The fault really lies with me -- when I got a pool in the first place I should have been more proactive about learning the chemistry behind the water maintenance.

Their "throwing chemicals at it" philosophy is based on their business model ( making money ) and their desire to make it "easy" for pool owners. They rely on blind trust, and most pool owners (especially new ones) are willing to give it.

That doesn't make it right in every sense, but I do understand where they are coming from. I'm just sorry I didn't take control of my water sooner! It feels good to be there now. Thanks, TFP ♥

She likes Justice, and so do I... but I have learned owning a business that you can't get it a lot of times in life... Though they are totally in the wrong... it is what they do... and I guess they do it well... I think they may be nicer to customers now that a new gun range opened pretty much right next to them :)

- - - Updated - - -

Yep... fire trucks could do it too, but they don't hold that much... as someone mentioned before... only like 500 at most...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.