switching back from swg to traditional

Jun 18, 2016
teague,tx
Well i just joined here and it is becoming apparent to me that the intex swg that i have been using for three seasons is not big enough for my 15000gal pool. So im wanting to get my taylor tf100 kit and just do away with the swg. My question is how hard will this be to accomplish and is it ok tht my pool has salt in it. Coz i really dont want to drain it. Ive had to stay ontop of my pool almost daily and shock every week or two just to keep it clear and swimmable. So the swg has not been less work by anu means. Also. My pool is the intex 32ft x16ft x52in rectangular ultra frame pool and it doesnt have a skimmer. Simply an inlet and outlet. I know i can cut it to install one. But ive been too scared for fear of damaging the pool . is this a problem tht has to be addressed? Or can i simply make due with it the way it is? My pool has been a lot of work for the 3 years ive had it. But the family and i have had alit of good days in it. I simply now want to go with the tfpc way of doing it and make even more fun time and lnow that its being done right. I can tell u measurements if u like but im waiting pn my taylor kit to get in as all i jave is a crappy htc walmart kit that measures fc ph and ta. So im sure all the measurements are wrong anyways. Its a miracle ive been able to keep it going after reading all the stuff u guys post in here im so glad i found this place and look forward to any advice or tips that u members would like to share with me.

If you post up your test results we might be able to figure out why you are having a problem.

The salt will not cause any issues. Just start maintaining the appropriate FC level for your CYA level with bleach.

Welcome and good to have you here :)

No problem keeping the salt in the pool. Lots of people do it just for the comfort of salt anyway.

I'm not recommending, but here's an example of the kind of how-to threads that you might find here:
Adding a Hayward Thru-the-Wall Skimmer to Intex Metal Frame Pool (PICS! - Page 3

Great decision to get the test kit on the way. Once you have some reliable numbers, we can help you along. Don't abandon the SWG until you have your pool running as a TFP pool and then decide.

Click the link in my signature "Read before posting" and it tells you how to add your pool information to your signature, along with some great tips that will help you get the best possible advice here.

That sounds like a nice big pool, and it will look even better when your water is sparkling!! It sound like you've been enjoying Pool School and picking up some good information.

I wish I was a little closer :) I could give you a hand, here is how I did it... I used a soldering iron for the corners because I was scared of cutting too far and it worked great.. I just used a blade to cut between the corners..

ywvf9H8h.jpg

7gHdQqzh.jpg

Ey2vuvkh.jpg

the easy way to your sig :) Trouble Free Pool

Sorry i thought i mentioned it but upon reading my post i see i did not. My swg is crapping out. It keeps telling me that i have liw salt but i know i don't. Ive cleaned the cell twice and it still only runs for a few minutes and then errors out. Im pretty sure it needs a new sell but after cost and shipping its like 83 bucks. Now thats not bad i know but whats the point in fixing it if it doesnt produce the enough chlorine when it is working. Ive only ever been able to get a fc after a shock and ive put stabilzer in but have no idea what level the cya is coz all i had to measure that with is test stripa and they always say my level is 0. Im just gonna try to maintain it with bleach and watch my ta and ph while i wait on my kit to come in and then ill get back with some real test results. I hit it with a gallon of bleach last nite and got home today and the water is clear but i got some alge on the walls in spots so ill take care of that and just try to keep it maintaned till my kit gets in.

Yep, understood. Your pool currently has organic contamination (the algae) that can be eliminated. After that's done, you will find that you need less chlorine to keep it that way.

Looking forward to your test results when the kit arrives.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.