Bronze Supporter
Jun 4, 2016
Marengo/IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
IMG_4504.jpgI'm new to TFP and have a new AGP.

I've read all that I can find on TFP about adding muriatic acid to my above ground pool and I'm a little freaked out by the warnings. Don't wan to burn my skin or inhale the fumes or damage my liner.

The TA first rated at 380 upon filling new pool. Added chlorine and stabilizer.

TK-100 results yesterday

Cl - .5
pH - 7.5
FC - 2
Calcium - 350
TA - 350
CYA - 0

Today added 3 cups, 3 oz chlorine and only had 16 oz of stabilizer on hand. Calculator recommends adding 64 oz by weight.

What should I do next? Muriatic acid? More chlorine and more stabilizer?

Last edited:
I'm a newbie, too, but I offer my opinion because our new AGP is doing quite well while following TFPC. I've been reading a lot on this site, adhering to TFPC. The first thing I did with stabilizer/CYA=0, is add CYA with target of about 30ppm. Without CYA chlorine's pool life is measured in minutes because of degradation caused by sunlight exposure.

IMHO, getting your CYA up is first priority so can have some FC available for 24 hrs.

This Chlorine/CYA Chart is very helpful to me.

Hopefully others will chime in.

Worry about MA a bit later; your pH is pretty good. My pH was >8.0 initially. MA is a bit wicked but quite doable. Both my wife and I wear nitrile gloves and safety glasses when using it. Simply respect MA, and everything will be fine.

Get your CYA up.

Also add the brand and model of your test kit to your signature, please.

Your pH is at 7.5 which is near perfect, also your CYA stabilizer is slightly acidic, so why would you want to add Muriatic acid?

Total alkalinity is extremely high so I thought muriatic acid was the recommended choice. Is there another option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You really should not try to chase an artificial number on TA unless you have high CH and are trying to meet a specific CSI goal. Instead you should try to chase pH stability for your pool, TA can be a guide of where pH stability may be found. So instead of going to a great deal of effort right now chasing TA, give it some time, monitor and adjust your pH as needed, see how fast it drifts, and if you find you are adding acid too often, retest TA then and make some effort to bring the TA down. Also be aware over enough time the simple addition of acid will bring down TA on its own, each pool is different and pH drift depends on many factors including amount and type of wind blown dust, pH of fill water, amount of aeration the pool gets.

Ike

p.s. I feel one of the biggest mistakes pool newbies make once they start doing their own testing is obsessing over TA levels, TA is really the last little bit of fine tuning you should worry about, and that TA range from pool school is a guide that your ideal TA likely is some specific point within that range.

It seems like there is a fair chance that there was an error when testing TA. Be sure to wipe the tip on a damp cloth between drops and hold the bottle vertically and let the drop fully form. Some people miss the TA test and get an artificially high number due to static build up.

Thank you Isaac-1. I'll take your advice and start with smaller focus. Pooldv, Thank you, too. I have repeated the TA test three times and I may not be allowing a big enough drop to form. I am carefully wiping the tip with a damp cloth. As a newbie I'm anxious about doing it right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok, good. Or not good. We do see some very high TA levels in some areas. As Isaac mentions just monitor PH daily and adjust as needed for a week or two and let's see how it goes. When PH reaches 8.0 lower it to 7.2. This will bring your TA down over time.

Nice work so far reading up and taking care of your pool!

Thank you Isaac-1. I'll take your advice and start with smaller focus. Pooldv, Thank you, too. I have repeated the TA test three times and I may not be allowing a big enough drop to form. I am carefully wiping the tip with a damp cloth. As a newbie I'm anxious about doing it right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was the same way with TA....after taking pH to 7.0, my TA dropped from 220 (or was it 240?) to 110 and pH is holding for now.
Let's see how she holds for a week or two of good weather and higher usage!

Good luck and welcome aboard.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.