Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine Drop Test - Quick Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine Drop Test - Quick Question

When adding the powder, it says to swirl and then the water should be pink in the test tube. Does it turn pink right away, or should it sit for a few minutes? Thanks
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine Drop Test - Quick Question

It should turn pink right away. If it doesn't then either there is no chlorine, or there is a really really large amount of chlorine. I try one more scoop, and if that still doesn't do it, confirm with the OTO test. If the OTO test (blue box in the FT100, drops turn the sample yellow which is compared against a color standard) stays clear then there really isn't any chlorine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by mickey4paws
    When adding the powder, it says to swirl and then the water should be pink in the test tube. Does it turn pink right away, or should it sit for a few minutes? Thanks
    should turn pretty quick, if it doesn't add another, if it still doesn't after several you may have no chlorine in the pool.
    Kidney shaped ~ 10000 gallon Ig Plaster pool with pool cage. 120sf Cartridge filter. Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-26, 230 Volt, 7.8/3.0 Amp, 1-1/2 Horsepower 2 speed pump, Solar panels on the roof. Heliotrope HelioMatic 4000D solar controller.

4. Back To Top    #4

that swirling thing is really a pain to me. it's either too slow or I splash out. when I got an eye dropper to get my test tubes to the exact amount of required water, I found out it was also an excellent stirrer.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks everyone! It did turn pink right away but took a while to clear. It's supposed to be completely clear, and not just very, very light pink, right? Argh, I am so not good at chemical things
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by mickey4paws
    Thanks everyone! It did turn pink right away but took a while to clear. It's supposed to be completely clear, and not just very, very light pink, right? Argh, I am so not good at chemical things

not clear but colorless. No pink
    Kidney shaped ~ 10000 gallon Ig Plaster pool with pool cage. 120sf Cartridge filter. Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-26, 230 Volt, 7.8/3.0 Amp, 1-1/2 Horsepower 2 speed pump, Solar panels on the roof. Heliotrope HelioMatic 4000D solar controller.

7. Back To Top    #7

Make sure you are using the little scoop end and not the flat end.

If you are doing it correctly and it takes many drops that means your FC is very high. How many drops did it take?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by reebok
    that swirling thing is really a pain to me
    Stirring with an eyedropper is not the same as swirling and you could contaminate the different tests if you use the same dropper for each. Get yourself a magnetic stirrer. One of our members sells one and it's worth every penny!
    portable-magnetic-stirrer-from-apollo-pools-t1489.html