How often chlorine and how much?

You will need to add enough chlorine to reach the target levels according to your pool's CYA. Refer to this chart: Chlorine CYA Chart. During the summer, chlorine must be added daily.

Your pool is about the same size as mine, and I'm using about 100 oz per day to maintain my chlorine levels and this is high season for chlorine use. It does diminish rapidly after Labor Day.

BTW, do you have any test results you can post?

I added 2 gallons of bleach yesterday afternoon and tested this am:
FC -1
TC -0
PH 7.4-7.6
AL 70
CYA 35
CH 80

- - - Updated - - -

I guess my main question is.....if I have to add that much bleach per day....how is this going to be cheaper? It will run me about 6 bucks per day which will add up quickly

Adding 2 gallons of 8.25% bleach will add about 6 ppm FC to your pool - this is in addition to the FC that was already present just before dosing with more bleach. If you added it late in the afternoon, you shouldn't be losing that much by morning. I would do an Overnight FC Loss Test. This takes sunlight out of the equation. If you lose more than 1 ppm FC overnight, then that is an indication that your pool may be in the early stages of an algae infestation or have some other form of organic contamination. This is a possibility even if your water is currently clear. If you lose 1 ppm or less overnight, then I would bump CYA up to around 50.

One other point about your test results..If your FC is 1 , then your TC should be at least 1. FC + CC = TC.

and it appears it won't be cheaper.
So
- bump up CYA as suggested
- run the OCLT to see if you have anything going on that shouldn't be
- ensure you understand testing and recording for FC CC TC

You shouldn't have to add 6ppm per day. 2-4 is normal loss. What BoDarville is telling you to try is called an OCLT. We suspect something is growing in your pool and that is how to check.

FWIW we are pool twins and I use 1/2 bottle bleach per day, 2-3 ppm loss/day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.