Trying to update our speakers BUT

DMS2014

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Houston, Texas
I read the other thread about using Sonos and some other things. However, it appeared that's all about YOUR music - using your iPhone or whatever to stream it. We have two outdoor speakers already that are controlled by our receiver Inside the house. We like to listen to the radio more than our iPhone music (sorry, i've never been a big music lover - i think I have like 30 songs)

I guess I have several questions: (and excuse how they are phrased - bc I am not sure how to explain it)

1. Is there a system that allows you to remote control, I guess, from inside /turn on the music without going in the house?
2. The receiver we have in from 2007. it's good quality BUT we are not married to it. Is it possible to buy better quality speakers that could work with this receiver?
3. Space is at a premium outside. Is there another way that we could get music from the radio and also phones that we could replace our receiver with or add it to our entertainment center? and not worry about 2?

to boil it down, I want music outside with bluetooth phone capability, radio and good sound but with the base in the house....

Just to clarify, SONOS will play itunes, googleplay, pandora, slacker, every radio station in town on Radio by TuneIn, sirius , anything on your phone, tab and I'm sure pretty much anything else on the planet. It is amazingly well integrated.

On the Sonos side, you can also "line in" your existing stereo and use the Sonos system to play your receivers content. I believe it was mentioned that Sonos plays Tunein Radio and iheartradio, which are essentially live streaming of your favorite radio channels content.

My Sonos system is actually just the Sonos amps, which take our receiver or Streaming content and broadcast it through lower cost/higher quality marine speakers.

Hi, I answered below in Blue...
I read the other thread about using Sonos and some other things. However, it appeared that's all about YOUR music - using your iPhone or whatever to stream it. We have two outdoor speakers already that are controlled by our receiver Inside the house. We like to listen to the radio more than our iPhone music (sorry, i've never been a big music lover - i think I have like 30 songs)

I guess I have several questions: (and excuse how they are phrased - bc I am not sure how to explain it)

1. Is there a system that allows you to remote control, I guess, from inside /turn on the music without going in the house?
Sonos will let you do exactly that. I am using a Sonos CONNECT and a dedicated amplifier. I leave the amplifier on 24/7 so I only have to select my music on my phone or tablet and click play within the Sonos app.
2. The receiver we have in from 2007. it's good quality BUT we are not married to it. Is it possible to buy better quality speakers that could work with this receiver?
Your tuner is most likely fine as long as you think it has enough power to hear the music at the levels you desire. You can always upgrade your speakers, but not knowing much about your location or mounting options I really can't
recommend. I use these and am very happy with their performance, Definitive Technology AW 6500 Outdoor Speaker. They aren't cheap, but work for me.

3. Space is at a premium outside. Is there another way that we could get music from the radio and also phones that we could replace our receiver with or add it to our entertainment center? and not worry about 2?
Like the others have said, Sonos has many radio stations and other sources. It is certainly what I recommend to my friends.

to boil it down, I want music outside with bluetooth phone capability, radio and good sound but with the base in the house....

I am looking for basically the same thing. I currently do not have anything, so I have been looking at receivers and speakers to set up some outdoor speakers. I have been looking at outdoor speakers that I plan to connect to the soffit under our eaves and then run speaker wire to an interior receiver.

Since I wanted to control it with my phone, I thought I would need it to be Bluetooth capable. However, that would limit the placement of the receiver to our sun room (not our living room as that would be too far away for the blueetooth). I then found out that they make wifi receivers which are more expensive, but would allow me to place the receiver in my living room and control via my phone from the pool patio. However, the wifi receivers were obviously more expensive.

Until today, I never knew much about Sonos, but I have been looking into it some more. I found that this is likely the way that I SHOULD go assuming I can scrape the pennies together. I am now considering getting outdoor rated wired speakers and connecting them under the eaves as planned and running them through the attic/wall to the living room behind the entertainment center where I will connect them to the SONOS Connect Amp. Although the amp is $500.00, I think this will provide for a good setup and additional options down the road that just plugging them into a regular receiver would not provide. You can get compatible receivers for cheaper than $500.00, but if you ever consider doing any Sonos connectivity in your home, it would make sense to go ahead and do the amp at this point. I doubt your existing receiver already has wifi capability on it. If you went with the SONOS amp, I assume you can run your existing receiver into it like the SONOS commercial talks about. Then you will be able to have that as your tuner or you can use the tunein app, Pandora, etc.

I found this youtube video extremely helpful as it is basically what I am planning to do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxp2U9BzoB4

Let me know what you think. Also, I would appreciate anyone who is more familiar with the SONOS stuff to chime in with why pick the amp instead of a wifi receiver. Is there any benefit? I believe you can play your Pandora etc through those wifi receivers with the wifi capability or via Airplay.

Is there any benefit to one of these routes over the others if I am planning eventually for a tv to go outside and connect with the speakers. How would you connect the tv to the SONOS system?

Sorry for the additional questions on someone else's thread, but I am hoping the answers to these questions will also help DMS2014.

Thanks.

I looked into Chromecast audio. The main problem I had with it is that (a) you also need to buy a receiver, and (b) isn't it not compatible with the music on iPhones? I was under the impression that it can play music stored on android phones, but not IOS because of the compatibility. All I would be able to do is stream from Pandora, spotify, etc.

Am I mistaken about that?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.