Saltwater vs Chlorine

Jun 19, 2016
Moncks Corner
I have had a pool for a few years and the care with chemicals is really a pain. I live in SC and the heat makes it hard to keep the algae out, so I am considering switching over to saltwater. I am not sure of the benefits or saving, if any, and what the care would be like. I am sure the cost of electric would go up a little but can I get ya'll to give me some pointers and what the pros and cons are of switching? Any info would be of great assistance. Thanks all.

This is the pool info and I added it as a signature also:
24 round 15K gal AG pool installed 2007(new liner 2016) , 1 1/2 hp Pentair Dynamo single speed pump(new 2016), Sand Dollar sand filter I believe an SD40( new sand 2016). We use city water to fill. Chem testing is done at the local Pool store we just take a sample and they run it.

Yes.. your pool specs in your sig helps everyone around here to see the context of your existing system when answering questions.. Welcome to the forum!

If you are having algae problems sounds like your chemistry may need some tweaking. Go through the pool school threads. They have lots of good information about how to maintain a pool correctly, I made a lot of tweaks to my maintenance as a result the information there.

So I'll jump in with some observations since it sounds like I was in your boat. I converted an existing pool to salt after the pool was about 7yrs old. That was ~ 10yrs ago and I'll never look back. I combined the conversion with replacing all my pool equipment since the old stuff was toast and old technology.. I can't tell you how nice it was to get rid of a DE filter with broken vanes that kept exploding on a regular schedule. The kids all thought was exciting when it went because they had a shallow pond to play in until I got it cleaned up.

-Cost: In general the cost of the conversion will be more or less equal the cost of the chemicals you use without an SWG. so that is a wash. or you will recoup the cost after awhile in those terms. After the conversion you'll still need to buy CYA, and other stuff to open your pool every season and you'll still have to keep some chlorine on hand for winter. But you won't have to buy chlorine for treatments once the system is up and running..

-Convenience: This was HUGE for me. And if Time is Money for you, you will save a ton here. Once the pool is up and running for the season increasing the amount to chlorine involves turning the knob up. For less turn the knob down! that's IT! You never have to worry that you forgot to add chlorine to the pool. It does it on its own.

-Chemistry: I supposed this could be under convenience to but here goes. I didn't expect this when I got my pool converted . I found it a big hassle to keep all the chemicals in balance with traditional chlorinating methods. Adding chlorine always changes the PH, then that has to be tweaked.. etc. With an SWG the chlorine is added continuously, at a slower rate so the effect on the overall pool chemistry is more gradual and easier to maintain. I can't emphasize how much time this saved

-Health stuff: My daughter has very sensitive skin and this made a huge difference for her. SWGs pools breakdown the chloramine byproducts of chlorine sanitation so there is less irritation and chlorine smell. I often wondered if this was just hype from the manufactures, but I've seen some science that actually supports this.

So that's my props for SWG's

-Chemistry: I supposed this could be under convenience to but here goes. I didn't expect this when I got my pool converted . I found it a big hassle to keep all the chemicals in balance with traditional chlorinating methods. Adding chlorine always changes the PH, then that has to be tweaked.. etc. With an SWG the chlorine is added continuously, at a slower rate so the effect on the overall pool chemistry is more gradual and easier to maintain. I can't emphasize how much time this saved

-Health stuff: My daughter has very sensitive skin and this made a huge difference for her. SWGs pools breakdown the chloramine byproducts of chlorine sanitation so there is less irritation and chlorine smell. I often wondered if this was just hype from the manufactures, but I've seen some science that actually supports this.

So that's my props for SWG's

Mguzzy- Thank you for sharing your testimonial on your SWG! I agree that they are a great option for many.

I do want to clarify a few items from your post that might be confusing for some. Adding chlorine to your pool via a SWG is the only method of chlorine addition that changes pH. Using bleach is completely pH neutral and neutral for all other chems too. Using pucks will increase either CYA or calcium but neither type of pucks will alter pH. A SWG introduces chlorine as chlorine gas via small bubbles. When those bubbles rise to the top and pop, they generally cause the pH to rise in most pools (similar to aeration via a waterfall raising pH).

Regarding the health aspects, saltwater pools are commonly thought to be better for your skin. The thought is that the salt content is beneficial. This certainly may be true though bleach and other chlorine types also add salt so all pools are saltwater to some extent or another. Chlorine of all types breakdown (oxidize) the combined chloramimes (spent chlorine). SWG created chlorine has no exclusivity to that benefit. A pool otherwise properly maintained with any type of chlorine will be free of the "chlorine smell" which is really the smell of combined chloramimes.

Again, I'm so glad you love your SWG and its benefits but just needed to address a few details.

Bmore

Bmore.. thanks for the clarifications.. let me clarify as well...:D

-I was not trying to say that the addition of chlorine did not change the pH just because it was from a SWG. What I was trying to convey was the impact of dumping a gallon of chlorine into a pool all at once does to the chemistry in general, not just the pH. Whereas a SWG adds the chlorine slowly and continuously whenever the system is on. I find the impact on the pool chemistry to be more gradual and easier to maintain.

-Yes I love the health benefits of salt water itself. I failed to mention that. You are correct that chlorine from an SWG is no different than from another source. But its my understanding SWG's will breakdown chloramines via the same electrolysis process it creates the chlorine from NaCl. My daughter's skin is a testament to it be less irritating and every neighborhood kid that prefers our pool though they don't know why.

I'm happy to stand corrected by you guys! :cool:

Thanks for everyone's participation.

And it's not all about the kids being happy and healthy, but most of it is!

And to the OP, sorry if we (I) got a bit detailed or off track. Most find SWG's great for them with similar long-term costs versus bleach. I love ours and encourage you to go for it and/or ask any additional questions you have.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey Ghostriders... yeah we love our SWG's.. but then again you're preaching to the choir.

One thing your original post mentioned is that you are having algae problems. You will need to get that under control. a SWG system will not just "fix" an algae issue that is ongoing. You'll just inherit it with your new chlorine delivery method. I suggest you review the PoolChem sections of the forum for suggestions on getting your algae under control. Follow the suggested chemistry guidelines for your pool. You may need to do a SLAM. After hanging out on the TFP forum for awhile you find that people reporting reoccurring algae is because their pool chemistry is borderline.

I'm in the process of converting as well. Like mguzzy said the time saver aspect for me was HUGE. I simply do not have time to be out there all the time. I need some leeway to 'let it go' for a couple of days and not end up in trouble. The whole family will be gone for 3 days to a week and who's dumping in the chlorine? Another factor for me was buying and lugging chlorine. Right now I can get 10% at WalMart for $2.50 a Gal. but I don't thing they usually have it outside of summer. I can get 12% at pool stores for about $3.50 a Gal. which still isn't bad but I gotta lug them from the store, to the car, then to the pool. I'll buy 10 gals at a time because at almost 40k gallons it can go quick.

Here a link that many here have suggested for looking at SWG comparisons.
Full Market Comparison of Salt Water Chlorine Generators for Swimming Pools

I bought my RJ-60 plus here on the $1 upgrade offer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.