Palm Tree Help

I think my biggest struggle now will be getting the drip irrigation settings right for the palms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are the emitters adjustable or are they buried at the 1/2" feeder line? When you have a mix of plants with different watering needs, it's best to directly connect the 1/4" drip tubing to the 1/2" feeder line and either use different flag emitters at the end of the 1/4" lines or use an adjustable emitter.

Here's what the tubes look like...
1f66e6add8e6eb7661bbfe52cc65721b.jpg

These are around all the palms and plants.

One man's treasure is another man's..... When we were clearing our neglected (60 years) lot, I had 117 cabbage palms removed...most 45-60 feet. They drop huge fronds all year long and you cannot get up to them to remove the dead ones. I still have probably twenty and at least 10 of them are going next week. I am saving just enough to still make the yard look like Florida. They are just very high maintenance, provide little to no shade, and when you look up, all you can see is the brown fronds underneath.

I am lucky enough to have some ancient Live Oaks that dominate the yard.

Five queen palms, two clumps of what the arborist called produce palms, a pineapple palm, and a smaller palm I haven't identified all around the pool. Plus live oaks, too. My spring and summer go like this: 1) live oak leaf storm; 2) live oak pollen storm; 3) spikey palm flower storm; 4) palm fruit storm. That takes us from February into July, and the palm fruit will be falling until later summer. Plus the occasional huge branch or heavy seed pod dropping from any one of the queen palms, which are too tall for me to trim, and I'm not having a trimming company out every time a palm branch goes brown. Every week I put a pile of dead palm branches at the curb for yard waste pick up. I wouldn't trade them for anything, though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nice article.

I have several desert shrubs around the backyard that will start to get chlorotic leaves if they are overwatered. I discovered two separate irrigation line leaks because an individual shrub would start to suffer. My sago palms also get yellow leaves when the irrigation runs too much.

I too just ordered one of those moisture probes to spot check around my yard. Soil here is very calcareous with a thick clay-like consistency. It's like trying to grow plants in a bucket of concrete....

Anyway, I'll report back here if my results are worth noting.

I have heavy clay soil, and every time I have checked the soil around my palms it has been 10+. We have been getting a fair amount of rain. I trust the meter, because it registers my flowerbeds in front as 4-8. And the flowerbeds take up a lot of water. This has caused me to adjust my sprinkler schedule significantly. I do not want to lose the palms, or for them to look ugly. I am literally saving tons of water. My sprinklers on the palms have not run in a week.

I have to say, I got that same soil moisture tester yesterday and, while I have not had time to play with it much, I did a quick test and the unit said my soil was A LOT dryer than what it appeared to me to be from a visual inspection. So I'm not a 100% confident that it repeats properly in heavy clay soil.

You can always just hose water the the plants that need more moisture. Maybe you can even test and see with one palm of you give it extra water does it respond better than the others??

Mine is still ready 10 in all my soil. Of course it is heavy clay but it's making it very difficult to determine when to water these palms.

Do you have any potted plants around your home to check the meter with?

Heavy clay is difficult in most plants as it tends to be alkaline and binds up a lot of the necessary micronutrients like magnesium and iron.

Have you fertilized the plant bed at all?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.