Were does everyone store their Test Kits?

Jun 24, 2007
Eastern NC
I was just wondering where everyone stores their test kits. I keep mine in our half bath under the sink. Figured that it is dark, not really damp since the half bath really never gets used and it is kept like the rest of the house around 78 degrees. Is this an ideal place to keep the shelf life of the chemicals the longest?

Just curious as to where everyone keeps theirs. I know it should not be kept in extreme heat or humidity.

For quite a while now, mine has been stored exactly as you're doing...under the sink in a half bath. The bathroom has direct access to the side of the house, so it works out great going back and forth to and from the pool.

Greg

I keep mine on top of the computer stand away from the window, year round. When it's not in use, I usually have stuff like papers and phone books on top of it. Right now, it's on top of the dog's crate by the back door cuz I just tested my water. :mrgreen:

My chemistry lab (and it really is these days) lives in the pool accessible bathroom off the first floor guest bedroom, which is where I do all my pool testing. I lives in a large plastic tool chest in the cabinet under the sink when not in use.

PoolDad2 said:
it is kept like the rest of the house around 78 degrees. Is this an ideal place to keep the shelf life of the chemicals the longest?
78 deg is not ideal, because the higher the temp, the higher is the decay rate of the reagents. This is a general rule for all chemicals.
Is your basement cooler?
During off season I keep all the fluids in the fridge.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You don't want to subject the test reagents to sudden temperature changes. Reagents can be stored in the fridge (non-freezing) long term, but you don't want to be putting them into the fridge and taking them out again every time you want to test. The rapid temperature changes will cause them to break down more rapidly than storing at room temperature.

PoolDad2 said:
I was just wondering where everyone stores their test kits. I keep mine in our half bath under the sink. Figured that it is dark, not really damp since the half bath really never gets used and it is kept like the rest of the house around 78 degrees. Is this an ideal place to keep the shelf life of the chemicals the longest?

Just curious as to where everyone keeps theirs. I know it should not be kept in extreme heat or humidity.

you keep your house at 78 :shock: :shock: :shock: thats like my mom's house where she doesn't run the a/c unless it hits 82 in the house.

my house is at a cool, comfortable 73, drops to 70 at night.

and I keep my chemicals in the wetbar. its cool, dry, and dark. speaking of though, I need to order more regents.

Water_man said:
PoolDad2 said:
it is kept like the rest of the house around 78 degrees. Is this an ideal place to keep the shelf life of the chemicals the longest?
78 deg is not ideal, because the higher the temp, the higher is the decay rate of the reagents. This is a general rule for all chemicals.
Is your basement cooler?
During off season I keep all the fluids in the fridge.
78 degrees is not going to have any appreciable effect on the life of the reagents but taking them out of a cold fridge and then putting them back in on a regular basis will.

IF you are buying large bottles of reagents and using them to refill your 'working' bottles then those could be kept in the fridge since you will only be taking them out once in a great while.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.