Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Were does everyone store their Test Kits?

1. Back To Top    #1

Were does everyone store their Test Kits?

I was just wondering where everyone stores their test kits. I keep mine in our half bath under the sink. Figured that it is dark, not really damp since the half bath really never gets used and it is kept like the rest of the house around 78 degrees. Is this an ideal place to keep the shelf life of the chemicals the longest?

Just curious as to where everyone keeps theirs. I know it should not be kept in extreme heat or humidity.
    24k IG Vinyl D.E. Filter, SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Were does everyone store their Test Kits?

As long as there's no kiddies to get in that cabinet, sounds like a good place to me.

I store mine in one of our kitchen cabinets.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

3. Back To Top    #3

I keep mine in the box it was shipped in, in an office closet that's nice a dark and temp controlled.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

For quite a while now, mine has been stored exactly as you're doing...under the sink in a half bath. The bathroom has direct access to the side of the house, so it works out great going back and forth to and from the pool.

Greg
    12000 gal IG pool/spa combo,60 sq ft Jandy DEL filter,2 hp Jandy Stealth pump,Jandy LX400 400K BTU gas heater,Pentair Rainbow 300 off-line feeder (never gets used),Jandy Aqualink RS4 with PDA remote,3 Jandy 12" sheer descent waterfall features, Dolphin Oasis Z5 robotic cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

I keep mine on top of the computer stand away from the window, year round. When it's not in use, I usually have stuff like papers and phone books on top of it. Right now, it's on top of the dog's crate by the back door cuz I just tested my water.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

I keep mine on a bookshelf under the pile of bills in the bedroom. Just wish it would make the household bills go down as it did for my pool maintenance bills.

Susan
    18x33 AGP, BAQUAPURE 200 lb sandfilter, 2 1/2hp Workhorse pump (2 speed)

7. Back To Top    #7

I keep mine in the wet bar. Sink comes in handy refilling CYA bottle or if I test inside due to rain, etc. If some drunk makes a cocktail with it, that's their problem.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

8. Back To Top    #8

pool bath closet - and I test over the white pool bath sink
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)

9. Back To Top    #9

My chemistry lab (and it really is these days) lives in the pool accessible bathroom off the first floor guest bedroom, which is where I do all my pool testing. I lives in a large plastic tool chest in the cabinet under the sink when not in use.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDad2
    it is kept like the rest of the house around 78 degrees. Is this an ideal place to keep the shelf life of the chemicals the longest?
    78 deg is not ideal, because the higher the temp, the higher is the decay rate of the reagents. This is a general rule for all chemicals.
    Is your basement cooler?
    During off season I keep all the fluids in the fridge.
    This is my ticket for Heaven (when all's working..) :
    22k Gal gunite IGP, 38 SF Anthony DE filter, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump
    380k BTU Raypak Natural Gas Heater (Model RP405A) and solar cover
    8 gal Liquidator w/ 12% bleach, Dolphin Diagnostic Advantage robotic cleaner. 3800 ppm salt, 50 ppm borates.

11. Back To Top    #11

You don't want to subject the test reagents to sudden temperature changes. Reagents can be stored in the fridge (non-freezing) long term, but you don't want to be putting them into the fridge and taking them out again every time you want to test. The rapid temperature changes will cause them to break down more rapidly than storing at room temperature.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

I was just wondering where everyone stores their test kits. I keep mine in our half bath under the sink. Figured that it is dark, not really damp since the half bath really never gets used and it is kept like the rest of the house around 78 degrees. Is this an ideal place to keep the shelf life of the chemicals the longest?

Just curious as to where everyone keeps theirs. I know it should not be kept in extreme heat or humidity.

you keep your house at 78 thats like my mom's house where she doesn't run the a/c unless it hits 82 in the house.

my house is at a cool, comfortable 73, drops to 70 at night.

and I keep my chemicals in the wetbar. its cool, dry, and dark. speaking of though, I need to order more regents.
    30,000gal In-ground Gunite Pool DE filter
    Polaris 380 APC

BBB method all the way - Newb, like to absorb info and chatter, but take the experts' advise

13. Back To Top    #13

Laundry room in a closet where it's dark away from the outside sun and heat. The extreme temps and long lasting sun here is Ca destroy not only Chlorine but everything in it's path. 8)
    2013 In ground 32 x 16 Gunite 18,000 gal
    Hayward Aqua Plus Polaris 280
    2HP Hayward Super Pump
    Hayward 6060 Booster Pump
    Hayward S244T Sand filter

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Water_man
    it is kept like the rest of the house around 78 degrees. Is this an ideal place to keep the shelf life of the chemicals the longest?
    78 deg is not ideal, because the higher the temp, the higher is the decay rate of the reagents. This is a general rule for all chemicals.
    Is your basement cooler?
    During off season I keep all the fluids in the fridge.
    78 degrees is not going to have any appreciable effect on the life of the reagents but taking them out of a cold fridge and then putting them back in on a regular basis will.

IF you are buying large bottles of reagents and using them to refill your 'working' bottles then those could be kept in the fridge since you will only be taking them out once in a great while.