Having trouble with CH test and Salt Test

Jun 14, 2016
Orlando, FL
I received my test kit in the mail a few days ago and I have been taking some time trying to learn everything. The only 2 tests that I'm baffled by is the CH and Salt. I have run them several times and am getting quite a few different readings than I have been getting from my 2 local pool stores. Here are my readings.

Local pool stores

CH - 350-375
Salt - 3200-3500

My Readings

CH - 500-525
Salt - 5200

Now, I know my salt is higher but that is after adding 2 bags to raise the level since the manufacturer of my chlorine generator likes the level between 4000-4500. It should not have raised it by THAT much by adding 2 bags. I am following the directions as described in Pool School and that came with the kits. Am I doing something wrong?

I'm not saying one or the other. I was just curious as to why there might be such a difference. Are they really just that careless with these tests or just trying to extort money out of people? All of the other readings I got were pretty much in line with what they got except for those two. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

There are lots of reasons why pool store test results are inconsistent

Inexperienced operator
Poor training
Poor lighting
Poor technique, sampling, mixing
Not cleaning out last customer's pool water

I'm using the Taylor kit that I got with the TF100. Yes, I added 2 bags of salt last week to bring my levels up to the manufacturer's suggested level for their chlorine gen. The last readings I got from the pool stores were 3200 & 3500. 2 bags should have put me close to where I needed to be as long as their test results were accurate.

I have a SGS chlorine generator which calls for it to be between 4-4500, with a minimum of 3000.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.