Need help with pH-still learning

sdunk

May 3, 2016
Southeast, NC
I have been using the TFP methods for 6 weeks or so but my pH has been running on the high end of normal. I still had some pH down from the pool store so I used it but now need to add something I've never done before-muratic acid. I looked for some at Lowes the other day (because I knew I was going to need some on hand) but didn't find it in the pool section. After reading a little more on here, I will stop by Sherwin Williams after church and see if they have some. My levels today are as follows.
FC 1.5 I will be adding some bleach
CC 0
CH 100
TA 90
CYA 40
pH 8.2
Borate 40

I knew something was out of balance because my skin felt so dry after swimming yesterday afternoon. So ya'll please check behind me-I will add 1/3 jug of 10% liquid chlorine (Walmart), I don't need to treat the TA or CH, 56 oz of Muratic acid (assuming the paint co carries 31%) and 1 and 3/4 cups of stabilizer in a sock. This will be the first time adding muratic acid for me so I appreciate any tips ya'll have. Thanks!

First lowes should have it. If they dont have it in the pool section it will be in the paint department. MA is safe if treated with respect. Just dont get any on you. It does fume so try to stau upwind. Might be good to have eyes protected but you dont need a hazmat suit. Your cya or stabalizer is fine unless you have a lot of sun. That's where i keep mine in the southeast texas heat. Dont fret over your TA. Just manage your pH and your TA will find it's happy home. You might find that your pool likes say 60. Yes you need to get some chlorine in the pool with your cya at 40. Keep a log and you will soon learn your pools personality. Ask questions, that's what this site is for.

I'm glad you are working on lowering your pH. Muriatic acid is the best way to lower it and you will soon be a pro at handling it.

You don't seem to be overly concerned about your chlorine but you should be, With CYA of 40 ppm, your FC should be 3 to 5 ppm. You are significantly too low at 1.5. I understand you are going to add FC but if you want a pristine pool, you cannot let it slip below 3 ppm for any reason.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.