What size filter to get? Should I use sand or one of sand media substitutes?

I bought a house with a pool and it had a sand filter. I hated it. The water took forever to clean and once it was clean it was just a little hazy. I was always at the store buying a new chemical that promised to get rid of it.
Then I bought a DE filter and it cured everything. The water clears up so fast when I open the pool and it gets sparkling clear without extra chemicals. I highly recommend going DE.

They all work. If you were trusting the pool store, that is why your water was not clear, nothing to do with the sand filter.

Stick with actual sand and not an alternative if you choose that type of filter.

I had a big sand filter that probably just needed a sand change, but I let the repair people talk me into a new DE filter. I regret it. The sand filter was very forgiving if I let it get a little green; the DE filter (even though it's a big one) gets clogged way too quickly.

Water clarity is slightly better, but not nearly enough to justify the extra effort. Wish I had the sand filter back. YMMV, obviously.

Brad

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.