Are these SLAM readings typical?

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I started the SLAM at 5:45 p.m. Friday. At first, the free chlorine was almost completely consumed immediately. The numbers have looked better on Saturday. Unfortunately, for Sunday, I will be out most of the day so I will be unable to maintain shock levels until the evening.

But gosh. I've gone through 22 jugs of 121. oz. 8.25 % bleach already. (Pool math says for my pool and CYA level, it's about 3.5 jugs to get to shock level from 0.) Here are my numbers since starting the shock:

DateTimeFCCCpHTACHCYANotes
2016-06-1717:150.427.110050030
2016-06-1717:45Added 420 oz. 8.5% bleach.
2016-06-1719:0032.5Added 363 oz. 8.5% bleach.
2016-06-1720:301.57Added 420 oz. 8.5% bleach.
2016-06-1722:1511Added 400 oz. 8.5% bleach.
2016-06-1723:0091.5
2016-06-1809:300.51<7.0Aded 444 oz. 8.5% bleach.
2016-06-1810:1514.51.5
2016-06-1813:304.50.5Added 280 oz. 8.5% bleach.
2016-06-1816:306.51Added 200 oz. 8.5% bleach.
2016-06-1820:4580.5Added 121 oz. 8.5% bleach.
2016-06-1821:45101
2016-06-1902:1561

I know that it can take several days to complete a SLAM, so patience is needed. But it would be reassuring to be told that the pattern of my numbers are not atypical. I have a few questions:

1) Are my numbers typical? So far in less than two days, I've gone through enough bleach to go from 0 to shock level 6 times. Just keep pouring in more bleach? I've already cleared off the shelf at Home Depot (though I'm sure they have more in the back).

2) I'm going to be out most of the day on Sunday. And on the weekdays, I'm gone all day and can only be attentive in the evenings. I figure that's "good enough" to finish off a SLAM, but I don't know whether I'm far enough to say that. At the beginning of the SLAM you need to be there diligently raising the chlorine back up to shock level, and I'm not going to be able to do that starting tomorrow. (Only in the evenings.) I hope what I've done isn't all for naught. Is it? I don't want to be wasting effort and bleach. If you tell me that I'm going to have to start over anyway, then I'll just go to maintenance levels and start again next Friday evening when I can go throughout the weekend. But dang, I'm going through a lot of bleach. I think my wife is viewing things skeptically, but she's trusting me so far. So the question is, do I continue SLAMing? Or if my schedule means I can't stay on it throughout the day, should I abandon the effort and resume next weekend?

Thanks. I appreciate the help.

Mason

How did the pool look at the start? Depending how bad it was at the start, that affects things. The shock level you're using is 12 PPM FC correct?

It looks like you were starting to get it to hold, so that's good. Can you top it up to shock level before leaving for work, immediately upon getting home, then again before bedtime? That's about what it will take to keep it going, and I would encourage it to retain what you've gained.

That amount of bleach is unusually high. Retest your CYA now. It looks like there may have been some bacteria in there consuming it. If it is 0 that will explain the high consumption rate due to bacteria and no protection from the sun. If it is 0 then get another 30 ppm going in a sock and squeeze it a lot to dissolve it quickly. And keep SLAMing, it should go a lot better going forward. 3-4 times a day is normally fine after FC start to hold better. Good job staying with.

I just finished my SLAM, so I'm here to encourage you - keep it up to the best of your ability. If you can get up in the AM and do a test and add, and then in the evening, a couple of times I would think you will make progress. Is there anyone at home over lunch time or mid-day, who could add some chlorine for you? they woudln't even have to test - just add the number that seems right for what you need - myabe half a bottle/2 qts would at least bump the FC up until you could get home to help it along.

How did the pool look at the start? Depending how bad it was at the start, that affects things. The shock level you're using is 12 PPM FC correct?

It looks like you were starting to get it to hold, so that's good. Can you top it up to shock level before leaving for work, immediately upon getting home, then again before bedtime? That's about what it will take to keep it going, and I would encourage it to retain what you've gained.

At the start of the SLAM, it was crystal clear blue. The reason I started SLAMing was that the FC was always immediately consumed.

Shock level of 12 ppm, correct.

I can attend to it on the schedule you advise. That's about the best I can do during the week. Thanks!!

Mason

That amount of bleach is unusually high. Retest your CYA now. It looks like there may have been some bacteria in there consuming it. If it is 0 that will explain the high consumption rate due to bacteria and no protection from the sun. If it is 0 then get another 30 ppm going in a sock and squeeze it a lot to dissolve it quickly. And keep SLAMing, it should go a lot better going forward. 3-4 times a day is normally fine after FC start to hold better. Good job staying with.

Okay, I will do that later today. I was assuming the value of 30 CYA was holding steady, but if it's not, that might help to explain things.

Thanks!

Mason

- - - Updated - - -

I just finished my SLAM, so I'm here to encourage you - keep it up to the best of your ability. If you can get up in the AM and do a test and add, and then in the evening, a couple of times I would think you will make progress. Is there anyone at home over lunch time or mid-day, who could add some chlorine for you? they woudln't even have to test - just add the number that seems right for what you need - myabe half a bottle/2 qts would at least bump the FC up until you could get home to help it along.

Thanks, PrarieGirl. No, no one to help midday, but I will do my best!

Mason

Ok, that is good news! With the water clear and FC starting to hold it should go better now. 3-4 times a day is fine while working to get more bleach money! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.