May 14, 2009
Kzoo Michigan
5/22/09

FC 3
CC .5
TA 120
Ph 7.2
CYA was below 20 2 days ago added 2 lb of stabilizer

Pool was green this spring shocked with 4 lbs of shock ran pump for 1 week straight then backwashed before i added CYA been running 12 hrs a day since my water is still cloudy cant see the bottom of deep end. I also added 22 oz of clarifier the same day i added the CYA do i need to run pump 24/7 and raise my clorine to shock level again? Also is my TA to high?

Updated Test 5/23/09

FC 12.5
TC .5
TA 120
CYA 30
PH 7.2

I just added 1 1/2 of baking soda to try and raise my PH
Is my TA to high?
Should i raise my CYA from 30 to 50?

Pool is looking clearer and i am running pump 24/7

Thanks for all your help its greatly appreciated

dandy327 said:
Updated Test 5/23/09

FC 12.5
TC .5
TA 120
CYA 30
PH 7.2

I just added 1 1/2 of baking soda to try and raise my PH
Use baking soda to raise TA,not pH. Use Borax to raise your pH.
Is my TA to high?
No, looks fine. If you later have issues w/pH rising you could lower it then.
Should i raise my CYA from 30 to 50?
Depends on your pool. If you have full sun, you may want to target 50, especially considering you will be backwashing w/your sand filter.

Pool is looking clearer and i am running pump 24/7
Great!

Thanks for all your help its greatly appreciated

Update 5/24/09

FC 12.5
TC 13
TA 180
PH was 7.2 added 1/2 box of borax will retest tmro

Pool is still at shock level and is darn near crystal clear 3 24/7 days of pump running, when should i give it a rest like say 8 hrs a day cycle.
IS my TA to high?
When should i easy up on keeping it at shock level?
How long before i can swim in it? Does the FC need to be down around 3ppm to safely swim?
I'm going to retest my C YA tmro as well i added 2lb 4 days ago I tested it 2 days ago and it was 30.

dandy327 said:
Update 5/24/09

FC 12.5
TC 13
TA 180
PH was 7.2 added 1/2 box of borax will retest tmro

Pool is still at shock level and is darn near crystal clear 3 24/7 days of pump running, when should i give it a rest like say 8 hrs a day cycle.
You could cut back on the time to 8 to 12 hrs. if you need to, but it will take longer to clear your pool.
IS my TA to high?
It is okay if it is not pestering your pH to climb. Keep an eye on you pH & if you start needing to add MA too often, then you could look into lowering it.
There is an article in Pool School with directions.

When should i easy up on keeping it at shock level?
You are done shocking when you meet these three criteria:
1. Your pool is sparkly
2. You hold FC loss to 1 or less overnight
3. Your cc is .5 or less.

How long before i can swim in it? Does the FC need to be down around 3ppm to safely swim?
Well, different opinions. We swim in FC that is below shock level for your CYA.
I'm going to retest my C YA tmro as well i added 2lb 4 days ago I tested it 2 days ago and it was 30.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.