New Hayward S166T Sand Filter and Pump installed

lgldsr

May 18, 2016
Chicago, IL
Greetings and Happy Fathers Day,

I just purchased a Hayward 42234 as shown here and this has the S166T filter tank as well as a Hayward 1580 1HP pump.

The specifications call for 100 pounds of sand AND to make sure that there is a minimum of 10" from sand to top of tank. Yeah, well, that's nice and all but with 100 pounds of flat and level sand in there you're not going to have that 10" minimum. I should add that the online manual (printed in 2000) does not state this caution but the one that came with the unit does (printed in 2015). With the required 100 pounds of sand it's ~8.75" from sand to top of filter. Can anyone make sense of this?

Filter up and running but with perhaps a caveat or two.

(1) If I put my ear to the tank and valve I can hear water moving around inside the tank and at the filter valve. Or maybe I'm hearing sand moving around inside that tank? Note that there is no air escaping into the pool from the return. Pressure gauge is reading 13 pounds after ten minutes of backwashing and a one minute rinse.

(2) The pump is 1HP and I can see the water cascading around inside the basket and forcefully so. However, I can also see a pocket of air maybe 5 inches in diameter (my other Hayward 1540 does this also). No leaks I can find or otherwise account for. Is this air inside the basket normal? Or should there be 100% water and only water in that basket?

(3) The return hose as it exits from the tank travels about two feet and then is resting upon a brick wall. During that that two feet this hose (for lack of a better description) vibrates as if there were air in it. I expected to see air going into the return but there is none.

In the event it's germane to the above, pressure in filter mode (after backwash and rinse) is 13 PSI.

Any guidance greatly appreciated!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.