Well it is Memorial Day weekend . .. What ya smokin?

lovingHDTV

LifeTime Supporter
May 25, 2007
Round Rock, TX
I'm doing a nice small 7 lb pork butt tonight. I figure it should take about 14 hours smokin time, hour post smoke rest, and an hour to get all setup to go. So it looks like about 16hour from start to eating.

I pre-rub with a little mustard, then liberally apply a Memphis Dry Rub. Its in the fridge right now waiting to be cooked. I'll use hickory tonight for smoke.

Anyone else got something planned for this weekend?

dave

P.S. - for you TX folks, Randall's has their brisket for $0.99/lb.

lovingHDTV said:
I'm doing a nice small 7 lb pork butt tonight. I figure it should take about 14 hours smokin time, hour post smoke rest, and an hour to get all setup to go. So it looks like about 16hour from start to eating.

I pre-rub with a little mustard, then liberally apply a Memphis Dry Rub. Its in the fridge right now waiting to be cooked. I'll use hickory tonight for smoke.

Anyone else got something planned for this weekend?

dave

P.S. - for you TX folks, Randall's has their brisket for $0.99/lb.

What time should i be there? lol

You don't really need to have smoke rolling the whole time. I use a propane smoker, and have it smoking for the first two or three hours or so. After that, it's just a matter of cooking it low and slow to render the fat out and make it tender.

I've read somewhere that after the meat reaches 140 degrees F, it's absorbed about all the smoke it's going to, so after that you're just wasting wood. It's always worked for me.

No smoking here, just some burgers and prolly pork chops one night. Calling for rain throughout the weekend and all next week :grrrr: Course, I'll be begging for rain in August. I've got 4 butts in the freezer that I'll save for the 4th. The local Sam's here has their butts for $1.18/lb. :goodjob:

MikeInTN said:
You don't really need to have smoke rolling the whole time. I use a propane smoker, and have it smoking for the first two or three hours or so. After that, it's just a matter of cooking it low and slow to render the fat out and make it tender.

I've read somewhere that after the meat reaches 140 degrees F, it's absorbed about all the smoke it's going to, so after that you're just wasting wood. It's always worked for me.

No smoking here, just some burgers and prolly pork chops one night. Calling for rain throughout the weekend and all next week :grrrr: Course, I'll be begging for rain in August. I've got 4 butts in the freezer that I'll save for the 4th. The local Sam's here has their butts for $1.18/lb. :goodjob:

That is a good price. I got mine at Costco for $1.39 boned, not bad

I only put smoke in for the first 3-4 hours as well. After that you can even pull it from the smoker and finish it in the oven and you'll never know the difference. Just don't tell the hard core smokers :mrgreen:

dave

lovingHDTV said:
MikeInTN said:

That is a good price. I got mine at Costco for $1.39 boned, not bad

I only put smoke in for the first 3-4 hours as well. After that you can even pull it from the smoker and finish it in the oven and you'll never know the difference. Just don't tell the hard core smokers :mrgreen:

dave

I actually did that once, and almost twice, because I was having problems with my smoker staying up to temp. I woke up to the entire house smelling like hickory smoked BBQ, and it took forever to get the smell out of the oven and kitchen... :hammer: Thankfully I figured out what the problem was with my smoker, so we hopefully won't have to do that ever again... :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.