Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Well it is Memorial Day weekend . .. What ya smokin?

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Round Rock, TX
    Posts
    525

    Well it is Memorial Day weekend . .. What ya smokin?

    I'm doing a nice small 7 lb pork butt tonight. I figure it should take about 14 hours smokin time, hour post smoke rest, and an hour to get all setup to go. So it looks like about 16hour from start to eating.

    I pre-rub with a little mustard, then liberally apply a Memphis Dry Rub. Its in the fridge right now waiting to be cooked. I'll use hickory tonight for smoke.

    Anyone else got something planned for this weekend?

    dave

    P.S. - for you TX folks, Randall's has their brisket for $0.99/lb.
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

  2. Back To Top    #2

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sarasota Florida
    Posts
    143

    Re: Well it is Memorial Day weekend . .. What ya smokin?

    Quote Originally Posted by lovingHDTV
    I'm doing a nice small 7 lb pork butt tonight. I figure it should take about 14 hours smokin time, hour post smoke rest, and an hour to get all setup to go. So it looks like about 16hour from start to eating.

    I pre-rub with a little mustard, then liberally apply a Memphis Dry Rub. Its in the fridge right now waiting to be cooked. I'll use hickory tonight for smoke.

    Anyone else got something planned for this weekend?

    dave

    P.S. - for you TX folks, Randall's has their brisket for $0.99/lb.
    What time should i be there? lol
    Kidney shaped ~ 10000 gallon Ig Plaster pool with pool cage. 120sf Cartridge filter. Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-26, 230 Volt, 7.8/3.0 Amp, 1-1/2 Horsepower 2 speed pump, Solar panels on the roof. Heliotrope HelioMatic 4000D solar controller.

  3. Back To Top    #3
    awarsoca's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    64

    Re: Well it is Memorial Day weekend . .. What ya smokin?

    how do you smoke through the night? I'm swapping smoke pouches out every hour when I do ribs and roasts. I'd love to slow cook overnight.
    Clint
    Pics of the build process
    34x16x25 Lagoon IG Vinyl 14,800gal (Oxford Tile/Glimmerglass 20mil)
    Pentair: Intelliflo VS3050 pump, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Clean and Clear 320 cartridge filter, LA01N 3/4hp booster pump and Polaris 280 cleaner

  4. Back To Top    #4
    MikeInTN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    1,335

    Re: Well it is Memorial Day weekend . .. What ya smokin?

    You don't really need to have smoke rolling the whole time. I use a propane smoker, and have it smoking for the first two or three hours or so. After that, it's just a matter of cooking it low and slow to render the fat out and make it tender.

    I've read somewhere that after the meat reaches 140 degrees F, it's absorbed about all the smoke it's going to, so after that you're just wasting wood. It's always worked for me.

    No smoking here, just some burgers and prolly pork chops one night. Calling for rain throughout the weekend and all next week Course, I'll be begging for rain in August. I've got 4 butts in the freezer that I'll save for the 4th. The local Sam's here has their butts for $1.18/lb.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

  5. Back To Top    #5
    frustratedpoolmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Well it is Memorial Day weekend . .. What ya smokin?

    We're gonna fry up some BlueGill. No grillin this weekend....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Round Rock, TX
    Posts
    525

    Re: Well it is Memorial Day weekend . .. What ya smokin?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeInTN
    You don't really need to have smoke rolling the whole time. I use a propane smoker, and have it smoking for the first two or three hours or so. After that, it's just a matter of cooking it low and slow to render the fat out and make it tender.

    I've read somewhere that after the meat reaches 140 degrees F, it's absorbed about all the smoke it's going to, so after that you're just wasting wood. It's always worked for me.

    No smoking here, just some burgers and prolly pork chops one night. Calling for rain throughout the weekend and all next week Course, I'll be begging for rain in August. I've got 4 butts in the freezer that I'll save for the 4th. The local Sam's here has their butts for $1.18/lb.
    That is a good price. I got mine at Costco for $1.39 boned, not bad

    I only put smoke in for the first 3-4 hours as well. After that you can even pull it from the smoker and finish it in the oven and you'll never know the difference. Just don't tell the hard core smokers

    dave
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Waterford Michigan
    Posts
    36

    Re: Well it is Memorial Day weekend . .. What ya smokin?

    Well it looks like some baby backs an a small pork loin all done on the q.

    And Bless all the men and woman that give us this ability to enjoy this GREAT COUNTRY.
    15x30 AG
    Cartridge Filter
    Solar Heater
    1.0 HP 2 Speed pump
    + 2 KIDS

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Coastalish 'down easter'
    Posts
    4,160

    Re: Well it is Memorial Day weekend . .. What ya smokin?

    Same as always 8)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

    Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

    POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

  9. Back To Top    #9
    MikeInTN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    1,335

    Re: Well it is Memorial Day weekend . .. What ya smokin?

    Quote Originally Posted by lovingHDTV
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeInTN
    You don't really need to have smoke rolling the whole time. I use a propane smoker, and have it smoking for the first two or three hours or so. After that, it's just a matter of cooking it low and slow to render the fat out and make it tender.

    I've read somewhere that after the meat reaches 140 degrees F, it's absorbed about all the smoke it's going to, so after that you're just wasting wood. It's always worked for me.

    No smoking here, just some burgers and prolly pork chops one night. Calling for rain throughout the weekend and all next week Course, I'll be begging for rain in August. I've got 4 butts in the freezer that I'll save for the 4th. The local Sam's here has their butts for $1.18/lb.
    That is a good price. I got mine at Costco for $1.39 boned, not bad

    I only put smoke in for the first 3-4 hours as well. After that you can even pull it from the smoker and finish it in the oven and you'll never know the difference. Just don't tell the hard core smokers

    dave
    I actually did that once, and almost twice, because I was having problems with my smoker staying up to temp. I woke up to the entire house smelling like hickory smoked BBQ, and it took forever to get the smell out of the oven and kitchen... Thankfully I figured out what the problem was with my smoker, so we hopefully won't have to do that ever again...
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Round Rock, TX
    Posts
    525

    Re: Well it is Memorial Day weekend . .. What ya smokin?

    The pork was awesome!

    It took a little longer than I wanted, but the results were great. I put in on around 10:30PM and it was done the next day around 3:30PM.

    Love pulled pork.
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

  11. Back To Top    #11
    awarsoca's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    64

    Re: Well it is Memorial Day weekend . .. What ya smokin?

    Silly me... I forget about smokers. I create smoke pouches for my gas grill and change them out every hour. Coking a butt overnight in a smoker makes a heck of a lot more sense (c:
    Clint
    Pics of the build process
    34x16x25 Lagoon IG Vinyl 14,800gal (Oxford Tile/Glimmerglass 20mil)
    Pentair: Intelliflo VS3050 pump, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Clean and Clear 320 cartridge filter, LA01N 3/4hp booster pump and Polaris 280 cleaner

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •