Odd TA test result...

dickeystorm

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 7, 2010
Lake Jackson, TX
Hi All,

I opened my pool today and ran the first round of tests. This was another year of failed pool cover. :(
A branch poked a hole in the cover which allowed the 20+ cubic feet of leaves to make a lovely tea out of the water. The water is clear but dark. All that said, when running the TA test the instructions state the sample should turn green after adding the dye. Mine turned red immediately. I interpret this to mean my TA is essentially 0. Is this correct.

FC 0
CC .5
pH 7
TA 0?
CH 120
CYA 0
Borates 15
Salt 1400

temp ~80F

Zero or negative TA is usually caused by extended use of trichlor. Zero or negative TA means that the ph is below 4.5.

Try the test again. When the sample goes pink, use R-0006 base demand to titrate from red to green. Post how many drops of base demand it takes to turn the sample from pink to green.

Multiply number of drops by 6.3 to see how negative the TA is.

Zero or negative TA is usually caused by extended use of trichlor. Zero or negative TA means that the ph is below 4.5.

Try the test again. When the sample goes pink, use R-0006 base demand to titrate from red to green. Post how many drops of base demand it takes to turn the sample from pink to green.

Multiply number of drops by 6.3 to see how negative the TA is.

Thanks to all who have responded. I reran my test this morning with quite different result that I can't explain. The first set was taken right after removing the winter cover. There were a LOT of leaves on the cover and there was a small (2") hole in the cover. The water was clear but dark like tea. The deep end has a green film down low, brushing helped, vacuuming didn't touch it.

My test numbers from last year, 7/15, were CH 150, TA 110

The latest today are:
FC 11.5
CC .5
pH 8 :confused:
TA 150
CH 150
Temp 84F

So, I don't know what happened with the first set but things appear controllable now.
One not, my pump sprung a couple leaks over the winter which played into the mindset of really low pH. :D.

Thanks All!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.