Metal Magic with pool heater

May 9, 2015
Syracuse
My sister opened her pool this year and found a huge stain covering the deep end. They didn't check their pH at all last summer, the water was so acidic it ate the copper in the heat exchange, which settled over the winter.

They had a new heater installed - Sta-Rite SR333NA - and the pool store guy recommended Metal Magic to remove the stain.

I'm guessing we don't want Metal Magic going through the heat exchange. My heater has a manual bypass, the SR333NA does not. There's a brief mention in the Sta Rite manual of a bypass switch. So my question is, does water flow through the heat exchange when the heater is off? Or do I need to manually bypass the heater while we're using Metal Magic?

No, not as long as you keep PH 7.0 or higher. Preferably 7.2, but a dip to 7.0 for a bit is OK. Jacks won't hurt it at all. In fact the only thing that could hurt the heater is low PH.

My sister opened her pool this year and found a huge stain covering the deep end. They didn't check their pH at all last summer, the water was so acidic it ate the copper in the heat exchange, which settled over the winter.

They had a new heater installed - Sta-Rite SR333NA - and the pool store guy recommended Metal Magic to remove the stain.

I'm guessing we don't want Metal Magic going through the heat exchange. My heater has a manual bypass, the SR333NA does not. There's a brief mention in the Sta Rite manual of a bypass switch. So my question is, does water flow through the heat exchange when the heater is off? Or do I need to manually bypass the heater while we're using Metal Magic?

An internal bypass which all units have is not like an external bypass of which you can add to your plumbing. The internal bypass just allows for excess water to flow back to the pool but it does not prevent water from going thru the heater like you can do with an externally built one. An externally built one allows you to isolate the heater so no water flows thru it at all. That's the best thing ti have if you need to perform aggressive stain treatment of resurfacing that might require and acid wash.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.