Help confirming Sand Filter Size - Pentair TA40D and 12K IG pool

Jun 18, 2016
Tucson, AZ
I decided that I am tired of my cartridge filter, cleaning it is just too much of a pain so I put it off longer than I should, and the lid has decided that it only wants to seal in 1 position that seems to change with every lid removal.

I have decided that I want to go to a sand filter. From my research it looks like a Pentair TA40D will work for my pool, but I wanted to check with the experts here to make sure that I would be sized appropriately.

I do have a little height constraint that the wall near the pool equipment is 38.5" tall and I would like to stay below that (ideally a little below so I can make a solar shade too), going up to a TA50D will be too tall. I also looked at the Triton TR50 side mount filter, but I am not sure that I am getting another ~$200 worth of performance out of it.

Will I be happy with the TA40D?

Other notes:
- I currently only chlorinate through floaters and plan on maintaining that.
- I have to re-plump everything aft of the pump for either filter so that is not a big deal.
- Currently the pump to filter plumbing is 2", it looks like most of the filters in this size are 1-1/2", I am planning on just necking that down right at the filter

:wave: Welcome to TFP, neighbor!!!

Sorry for the late response ... busy season made your post slide off the front page.

For a 12k pool, I would suggest a minimum of a 20" diameter filter. So looks like the TA40D is right around that.

Regarding your notes:
1. Continued use of floaters (trichlor tablets) in Tucson is a very bad idea. The CYA is going to build up and require you to replace water yearly.
2/3. Use 2" pipe and fittings everywhere you re-plumb and only reduce at the filter as needed.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

:wave: Welcome to TFP, neighbor!!!

Sorry for the late response ... busy season made your post slide off the front page.

For a 12k pool, I would suggest a minimum of a 20" diameter filter. So looks like the TA40D is right around that.

Regarding your notes:
1. Continued use of floaters (trichlor tablets) in Tucson is a very bad idea. The CYA is going to build up and require you to replace water yearly.
2/3. Use 2" pipe and fittings everywhere you re-plumb and only reduce at the filter as needed.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Thank you for the reply,I have been reading the "pool school" for several years now and recommend this site to any pool owners I find, I had been using liquid chlorine, but I suppose I got lazy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.