Bioguard Stain and Scale ingredients

Anyone know what is in this stuff? Have been using with no problems in my spa as per pool store but going to stop using it if it's not necessary. It has nothing listed on the front of bottle as to what's in it.

17,200 in ground pool, DE filter,3/4 hp pump, solar heater, SWG (Hayward Salt and Swim 3C)

It is a mixture of HEDP (a phosphonate based metal sequestrant) and fumaric acid (an organic acid good at removing metal stains). Two questions -

Why are you using this product?

and

Why are you listening to pool store advice?

Just now switching over to doing things myself. Started with the pool and now moving on to the hot tub and wasn't sure if that chemical was something I needed for the spa or not. Kind of like the baking soda deal with the pool. Pool stores try and sell it under a different name and I wasn't sure if I had to get something equivalent to this product or not. They always told me to use some of this when the hardness was up to prevent scaling.

Just now switching over to doing things myself. Started with the pool and now moving on to the hot tub and wasn't sure if that chemical was something I needed for the spa or not. Kind of like the baking soda deal with the pool. Pool stores try and sell it under a different name and I wasn't sure if I had to get something equivalent to this product or not. They always told me to use some of this when the hardness was up to prevent scaling.

Welcome :goodjob:

Well, I agree, it's probably one of those things they just make money on. Unless your hot tub full water has metal in it or some insanely high calcium hardness, it's not necessary in a properly balanced and well maintained hot tub.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.