Heat Pump-Analysis Paralysis

May 22, 2009
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. I was a lazy pool owner who let my pool guy take care of everything until the day he got a better job and now I'm on my own!

I had a Bacquacil pool... ugh. Switching to chlorine now and my Aqua Plus SWG is on its way.

I also really want a heat pump. I talked to Marcus at poolheatpumps.com and he recommended a Jandy AE2500 or the Heat Siphon SX 5.0.

My installer recommends the Aqua-Cal line, and I'm very interested in the SQ155.. partly because of how quiet it is, but also because it uses the latest refrigerant. The R-22 in most heat pumps is being phased out by the EPA starting 1/1/10.

They say the R-22 should be available for repairs for 20 more years, but I worry that it will get expensive. Yet, I also don't know how realistic a concern this is.. as if something is happening to the heat exchanger to require new coolant then something is seriously wrong.

My big question is does anyone have a Jandy or a Heat Siphon, and how loud are they? The Aqua-Cal costs about 1,200 more so if I don't have to spend it, I won't.

Also, any trouble with these units?

Thank you so much for your help.... It's almost swimming time and I Need to get moving on this. I first contacted Marcus back in MARCH!!! :shock:

Listen to these video testimonies so you can compare the AquaCal Super Quiet to your heat pump.
http://aquacal.com/

Regarding the freon, there is a difference in hardware needed for the new R410A freon. Its a much higher pressure system.
I would recommend that this not be a deciding factor, as R22 will be available for future repairs, if needed.
What you need to compare are the COP = Coefficient of Performance (efficiency, especially when temps are colder, such as 50 degrees), operating temperature range (what is the low temp before it shuts down from icing), Defrost cycle (is it done automatically or do you have to manually switch it), and of course quietness (most importantly if you live in a zero lot line community or your equipment is by a window).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.