Need to SLAM...1st Test Readings

Hey everyone! I just got my TF-100 w/XL option about an hour ago. Here's my first testing numbers:

pH: 7.5
FC: 2
CC: 1
PPM: 275
FA: 110
CYA: 65

We have a floater in the pool right now and those tablets are almost completely diminished. (20) gal of bleach in the garage, ready to use! I want pretty, clear water like everyone else instead of the ugly green stuff! ;)

Alright! Then here's the SLAM drill (link to page below):
- Adjust pH to about 7.2 (lower with muriatic acid)
- Based on a CYA of 70, your SLAM FC is 28, so crank that FC up to 28 and "SLAM"!

Don't worry about any other tests for now except maintain that FC of 28 as consistently as possible. It will change a lot at first then begin to steady-off as the SLAM goes further. Follow the instructions on the SLAM page and try to remain patient. It might take a few days, but it will work. Good luck!

When I read the SLAM page, it indicated the pH should be between 7.2-7.5 and with mine, at that time, being at 7.5, I added bleach to start raising my FC. Now, seeing these replies, I'm worried I acted too soon as I didn't add muriatic acid to lower it. I hope I didn't mess this process up to bad but FC right now is 34!!

Not the worse thing. Just understand that while your FC is over 10 you can't test pH because it give s a false (high) reading. Once the SLAM is done and the FC goes back down below 10 you can re-test and adjust pH. Even more reason to be extra vigilant with your FC testing to get that SLAM done as soon as possible. :)

Oh boy. Yes, unfortunately that's too high and a big change from the previous posting of 65. Everything you do from here on revolves around an accurate, management CYA level. Anything over 90 is really too high. So please refer to these two items and let us know what you have:

CYA Dilution Testing:
Add pool water to bottom of sticker.
Add tap water to top of sticker.
Shake.
Pour out half so mixture is to bottom of sticker.
Add reagent to top of sticker.
Shake.
Test outside with back to sun and tube at waist level.
Pour back and forth a few times to see if you get the same result.
Double the result.

CYA Testing:
Proper lighting is important for the CYA test. You want to test for CYA outside on a sunny day, but keep the skinny view tube in the shade. Taylor recommends standing in the sun with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading.

Use that info to confirm CYA one more time if you can please so we can do our best to give you am accurate plan ahead.

Bleach will not change the CYA. Only stabilizer will do that - or pool store products (boo!). Bleach only increase the FC, so there must be a testing disparity between the CYA tests. Remember you can pour the first test back into the mixing bottle and repeat as many times as you need to. Get a second (or third) opinion if needed from other eyes. I do that as well - sometimes even for pH. While the CYA test can be tricky, it's critical to be as accurate as possible.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hmm. Ok. I assumed the CYA level was raised due to adding more bleach. Since I haven't added anything else so it *has* to be operator error/getting acclimated to the test. Thank you for that bit of education.

Having said that, I did follow these instructions a few moments ago to test again:

CYA Dilution Testing:
Add pool water to bottom of sticker.
Add tap water to top of sticker.
Shake.
Pour out half so mixture is to bottom of sticker.
Add reagent to top of sticker.
Shake.
Test outside with back to sun and tube at waist level.
Pour back and forth a few times to see if you get the same result.
Double the result.

...and the number I got was 45 x 2 = 90. I'm assuming, since I've retested and still have a high number, I should lower the water. Would this be correct?

Well, 90 is high. For a SLAM is requires an FC of 35, and once you get past the SLAM daily FC targets of about "10" which makes it difficult to test pH accurately. So if I were you ... yes, I would do a partial water exchange to some degree. It will help you in the long run. Even if you only exchange about 25% and get the CYA down to about 70 or so it helps. But think about it and let us know. Certainly your choice. If you do change-out some water, post a new set of results once full again and we can reassess everything from there. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.