Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Swell Addition to TF-100 Test Kit

1. Back To Top    #1

Swell Addition to TF-100 Test Kit

I guess you'd call this thingy a pipette syphon and it's about 9 inches long (est.). Got it at Wal-Mart in the cooking supplies. With it I can dip the tip as deep in the pool as I care to and get more than enough water for the tests I plan to make. You can fill a test tube to each fill line precisely and avoid dipping and pouring out and dipping again because you poured out too much.

I plan to store it in the box the kit came in as there is ample room in it to store the syphon along side as the bulb is not that big in circumference. With the exception of using the small Taylor kit out at the pool, I just bring a full syphon of water inside to do my tests where I keep the kit stored.

You pro's proabably already do something similar but thought I'd share for those who don't and also get tired of "dippin'!

Jim

P.S. It'd be a nice addition to the kit or available when re-ordering chemicals.
    14 X 28 vinyl lined IG pool with Hayward pump/filter, an Aqua Genie skimmer and a TF test kit.

For the first five years I thought pool maintenance was a snap. Little did I know what my future held using stabilized chlorine. BBB from now on....... you live and learn.
    P.S. Understand that when you ask questions the answer may not be one you like.

2. Back To Top    #2
    A baster?

3. Back To Top    #3

That's an even better name for it RB. See how I tend to complicate things?
    14 X 28 vinyl lined IG pool with Hayward pump/filter, an Aqua Genie skimmer and a TF test kit.

For the first five years I thought pool maintenance was a snap. Little did I know what my future held using stabilized chlorine. BBB from now on....... you live and learn.
    P.S. Understand that when you ask questions the answer may not be one you like.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Hi, Jim,

Man, ya'll continue to embarrass me. I dipped and sweated outside for about two SEASONS before I came up with something similar to what you do......It took you TWO DAYS to figure it out!!
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I wish I had a nickel for every time I dipped, no that's too much, pour a bit out, **** too much, dip, repeat forever...

I still dip my tubes but now I stay below the line and use the CYA mix bottle that has a dropper type lid on it to fine to the level. Works soooo much better. I'm keeping my eye out for a larger bottle that I can dip and then fill my tubes without having to dip them

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangeball

I wish I had a nickel for every time I dipped, no that's too much, pour a bit out, **** too much, dip, repeat forever...

I still dip my tubes but now I stay below the line and use the CYA mix bottle that has a dropper type lid on it to fine to the level. Works soooo much better. I'm keeping my eye out for a larger bottle that I can dip and then fill my tubes without having to dip them
    I'm gonna try those "ketchup/mustard" squeeze bottles from the kitchen store.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

If you have a beauty supply store nearby, you can get a plastic squeeze bottle similar to those ketchup/mustard bottles. Mine is clear and says "Color Applicator" on it and has a much smaller hole in the tip for better control. 99 cents

Thanks to the member who recommended doing this a couple of weeks ago!
    7000 gallon IG freeform w/ 6 ft. spa, 21 ft weeping wall, Hayward SP4020NS Northstar pump, Colorlogic LED’s, DE6020 filter and H400IDL2 400,000btu heater. Aqua logic 8 zone controller with Aqua Rite salt chlorine generator, Stonescapes pebble finish – Aqua Blue and flagstone coping, stamped/stained concrete deck

8. Back To Top    #8

I use the bottle that I got from Leslie's for testing. You could use an old shampoo bottle as well. You can squeeze out a drop at a time when you get close to the level you need.
    17K gallon in-gound pool, black plaster, Polaris 380, cartridge filter system

9. Back To Top    #9
    Hrm,

I've never had trouble getting things to hit the line.

With the two cell thing, I just flick it until the water drops to the right level. Kinda hard to explain, but I never pore any out.
    Jim

10. Back To Top    #10

If it has a squeezy bulb on the other end, it's a baster.

Great idea! I use a plastic bottle from Leslie's that has a flip cap, that works pretty well. But, I have to stick my arm all the way down into the water to get it far enough down for a good sample. The baster would be perfect, for me.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Rob
    Hrm,

I've never had trouble getting things to hit the line.

With the two cell thing, I just flick it until the water drops to the right level. Kinda hard to explain, but I never pore any out.
    That is what I do, just a wrist flick, and it always comes within reason of the line, a little high or low, I don't worry about it.
    steve

Above Ground / 18' Round / Vinyl Liner / Sand Filter / 100K Gas Heater / Salt Added / No Nature2

12. Back To Top    #12

hosres and test kits

I picked up a big plastic syringe at a horse tack shop.

easy to read, cheap, and volume ndications right on the tube

fill, squeeze out excess to the quantity you want, and squirt into the test kit vial.

never misses.

get one with a longer narrow tube rather than a short round one.
    it's easier to measure more accurately. Most test kits only need
    25ml.
    Brent
    "hobby farm" is an oxymoron
    16x32 IG Vinyl
    Technosolis solar panels
    Starite DE
    Autopilot SWG
    DEAD Dolphin Robot