Cya measured by chlorine?

Jun 18, 2016
Vermont
I've tested my CYA using the test kit. I find it far too subjective as it just depends on the lighting to make the black dot disappear. I was reading here that the higher your CYA the more chlorine was needed and if it was too high it wouldn't even measure.

So is this a valid way to know CYA is dialed in? I had zero chlorine. CYA was somewhere measured 50 to 80. Pool calculator indiacted I needed 9.5 cups of bleach to reach 4.0. I added that amount and chlorine was tested exactly 4. So I assume my cya is good as if I had too high of cya the chlorine would have measured lower or not at all? Perhaps I misinterpreted the article I read. My main concern is that CYA is too high at this point.

The amount of CYA in your water has NO effect on how much FC is measured. If your CYA is zero and you add 4 FC, it will still measure the same 4 FC if your CYA was 80 instead. But do realize that a higher CYA level requires a higher minimum and target level of FC to be maintained for it. Welcome to the forum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.