Just put the salt in last night and...

DMS2014

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Houston, Texas
our PB said to wait until today to start the salt chlorinator. The reason for this is we Finally got new plaster. It's taken the PB this long to bring us the salt. We told him we weren't paying for the water, the salt or anything else bc the bad plaster wasn't our fault. Gotta give him credit - it's taken him forever but he's done everything.

So my question is: What now? I honestly don't remember what we did last time. I know we were messed up for quite a while. I haven't taken a reading yet bc nothing has been added. I want to do it right this time from the beginning!

We will test the salt today. that I will have to take to Leslie's. We have kept the water chlorinated with pucks and have regularly tested the chl and pH.

BUT what do we need to do now to start us off? Anything besides run through my TPT kit and starting recording the results???

OMG, they are awful!
FC 1.5
no CC
CA 175
TA 40
CYA 30!!!!!!
pH 7.5

I just tried using the pool calculator and it did nothing when I hit calculate. that thing has Never worked for me and I don't know why....

Leslie's water analysis - one thing he said tho was to not add any calcium for 90 days bc the plaster is new....??????
FAC 1
Salt 1300 (our chlorinator says 1900)
CH 120
CYA 40
TA 60
it says our pH is 7.8 but I got 7.5
phosphates 100

You have the TF-100 test kit, stay out of the pool store for their free testing, it will cause more problems for you. Go by your test results only.

Who said not to add calcium your PB or Leslies? Since this is new plaster your PB should have given you some guidelines but I would want the CH to be 200 for now.

Start raising the CYA, add enough for 30ppm more so you don't overshoot your target of 70-80.

Keep the pH in the 7.5-7.8 range and bump up the TA to 60-80.

You will need to add enough salt to make the SWG happy but it might take a bit for all the new salt to show up. Make sure you brush the pool to help dissolve any salt.

The PB didn't give us any guidelines. I think he's about done with us -- we have had so many issues and my husband let him slide on the deck.I checked the CYA today and it was only 40 after pouring in a whole jug of conditioner. We have another that we had and we will put that one in. Added 3 more bags of salt as the water was only 1500. AND, of course, Houston (The new London) just had a HUGE downpour. I am hopeful that it's slowing now. In the past we have had issues keeping the CYA up. Why, don't know.

Anyway, FAC hasn't changed a BIT. nothing -- even with the extra large puck of CL tab. We cranked the SWG up to 80% and I am going to get some bleach and put it in bc I don't want algae! It's hot here now.

Are you adding granular CYA? Are you using these instructions? Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

If it was dumped in the skimmer then it will take up to a week to dissolve and show up on the test. There is no filter shown in your sig, but if it is a sand filter don't backwash it for a week or you will backwash out the CYA.

Important registration and start up docs here, Wet Edge | Warranty

we used the liquid conditioner we had on hand from before. Our filter is not a backwash kind - it's big and round, if that helps. and it's a hayward. my husband takes the filters out and cleans them regularly. I went back to leslie's bc I don't have a salt tester. it's now 2500. Haven't bought anything and don't plan to. Going strictly TFP

Ok, good on the liquid CYA. Your filter is a cartridge filter. It takes 24-48 hours after adding salt for it to fully dissolve and incorporate into the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.