Finally a member

Jun 18, 2016
Coral Springs, FL
I've read many of the useful articles here, and it is impressive the amount of knowledge that resides here. Thanks to all the contributors for taking the time to educate us pool owners.

I've had a rash of bad luck with my pool -- my filter housing cracked and my pump died within just 2 months. So ... I have a new Hayward C751 cartridge filter and a new Hayward MaxFlo VS (SP2301VSP) variable speed pump. I was actually happy when my old pump broke because I always wanted a VS pump. The MaxFlo seems to be really good. I've had it in for just 1 week. I'm still researching how long I should run it, and at what speeds. I noticed that the MaxFlo user manual did not have an RPM-to-GPM table, and I was frustrated by that because I was set to "turn my pool over once per day!". But reading some articles here I discovered that (1) RPM to GPM is hard to generalize since every pool is different, and (2) turning my pool over once per day should not be my objective -- it should be to keep my FC/chemistry on target. Since my pool is screened, and I have just about zero debris (skimming is rarely needed), I'm going to run my MaxFlo at around 1500 RPM (170 Watts) for about 4 hrs to start, keep my FC on target and see what happens. I'm tempted to go to even lower RPMs, but I'm still a little skeptical.

On the flow rate, I wanted to be absolutely sure that at my MaxFlow's max RPM of 3000, that I would NOT exceed the "design flow rate" of my filter, which is 75 GPM. I'm not sure what the flow rate of my pump is at 3000 RPM, but I believe (?) it should be below 75 GPM. Perhaps someone could comment on this.

Welcome to TFP!

Your plan is a good one. Max speed on my 3hp VS pump is 3450 and I never run mine above 2500. It has 4 speed buttons and I reprogrammed all of them and the highest one now is 2500. I mostly run my pump at 1100 rpm for skimming and making chlorine with the SWG, it uses 150 watts.

One other note, some folks' plumbing is such that their VS pump uses the same watts at say 1200 rpm as it does at 1400 rpm. So, always run it at the highest rpm that uses the same wattage. Mine uses 150 watts at 1100 rpm and 165 watts at 1200 rpm. The difference between 150 watts and 170 watts is negligible.

Thanks pooldv. Given what you wrote I may look into lowering my RPMs from 1500 to 1200 or maybe 1000 RPM - as I do not have a SWG and I do not get any debris in my pool and it rarely needs skimming. Good tip on using the higher RPM if the power is about the same for two speeds. I measured the RPM vs. Power for my MaxFlow VS SP2302VSP. I started measuring at 1200 RPM, and took it all the way up to 3000 RPM in steps of 100 RPM. I'm posting the results here in case anyone wants to get a sense for how much power this pump consumes. The results are in this Google Sheets spreadsheet:

MaxFlo VSP - RPM vs Watts - Google Sheets

Also - if anyone is looking at this pump to buy, I just today found a "calculator" from Hayward that estimates the flow rate given the RPM for this pump. As I have read in this website, it is impossible to accurately estimate flow rate unless many parameters that vary significantly from pool to pool are known -- so this calculator is just to give you a ball park figure.

Energy Saving Calculator | Services | Savings - Hayward Pool Products