First time pool owner

Jun 14, 2016
Sterlington, LA
Hi pool people!!

On Wednesday we should have our newly constructed IG vinyl pool full of water. I've been reading this site now for over a month and am preparing to open my salt water pool. I've purchased 26 lbs of baking soda, 10 lbs of CYA and will buy the salt on Tuesday. My question is after I test my tap water and get my baseline readings, how is the best way to add baking soda, CYA and salt? I used the pool calculator to get enough of each to get to a close range if my levels were all zero to start. I've read about adding CYA to a sock in front of the return jet, is this a good idea? My kids will want to get in as soon as it gets full but I want to make sure all is safe before they do. Oh, and I have a Taylor 2006c which should be arriving in a day or two to test with. Thanks in advance for the help and take it easy on me, this is all totally new to me.

Welcome to TFP :)

You wont even have a chance to get pool stored, nice job

do all the tests on you fill water including the salt test and use those in the now column of poolmath

add the CYA 80 ppm in a sock in front of the return
using liquid bleach bring your Free Chlorine up to target 2FC
pour salt in and mix around until dissolved
kneed the sock until you CYA is dissolved
add more liquid bleach to bring your FC to 6
adjust your PH and TA using muriatic acid from lowes or lumber store 20% baume, 32% strength

wait 24 hours after salt is mixed in and start your SWG
try 50% on the SWG and run you pump 6 hours and see where you FC is, then adjust to keep FC at target for CYA of 80

Most of the links are below

I hope this helps :)

Welcome to TFP :)

You wont even have a chance to get pool stored, nice job

do all the tests on you fill water including the salt test and use those in the now column of poolmath

add the CYA 80 ppm in a sock in front of the return
using liquid bleach bring your Free Chlorine up to target 2FC
pour salt in and mix around until dissolved
kneed the sock until you CYA is dissolved
add more liquid bleach to bring your FC to 6
adjust your PH and TA using muriatic acid from lowes or lumber store 20% baume, 32% strength

wait 24 hours after salt is mixed in and start your SWG
try 50% on the SWG and run you pump 6 hours and see where you FC is, then adjust to keep FC at target for CYA of 80

Most of the links are below

I hope this helps :)

That's a huge help. What about the baking soda for TA? When in the process should I add it and do I just dump it in or do I need to mix it in water first?

usually TA is high and you want it between 60 and 90 to keep your PH down and not let it rise fast... so unless your TA from your tap is below 50 I would not touch it :) for a SWG try TA 70 and see how that does :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.