PVC Pipe for Solar Install

Jun 18, 2007
Charleston, SC
Wasnt sure if i should put this in this forum, or the "Everything Else", but here goes anyway.

I'm planning my solar install and in doing research, have noticed a lot of people using black pipe for thier install. It looks much better than the white PVC, but if I am not mistaken, isnt the black pipe ABS drain pipe?

Can you really use that for plumbing a system under pressure? I always thought that was a no-no.

Any advice/info would be appreciated.

You shouldn't use ABS pipe for pressure applications plus the connections between ABS and PVC require special care.

There is black PVC but it is hard to find and I believe it is expensive as well. It is easier to use white PVC and then just paint it with a decent plastic paint.

CPVC is also and option and holds up better for high heat applications (Az, CA central valley, etc).

Black ABS is thin wall too, so it cannot handle the pressures associated with the system.

Definitely good with Sched 40 PVC.

Could use CPVC (Thompson Gold?) if it is available in your area. More expensive too. CPVC was just approved for use in CA now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.