New owner questions

Jun 1, 2016
East Coast
Been using tfp system for two and a half weeks on our first pool and so far so good. I got the Tft-100 test kit with extra cya and cl testing regents. As of right now the water looks great and I don't see any issues. But I have concerns about proper testing and some questions.

When I first tested with the kit I had a hardness around 300 if I remember correctly. It is no around 75-100 depending if you count when it first turns blue or when it really is fully blue and not just a hint. What would cause it to drop that much?

My full results are:

Fc 2.5
Cc 1
Al 140
Cya 35-50 (see next question)
Ch 75-100
pH 7.4

The cya test confuses me. I initially did the sample test and then have been doing the test with the water weekly. The test says when you cannot see the black eye, but when I do the same and pour to 50 I can still see the eye, it is pretty faded but I can still see it. I've been doing the test until it is really gone but today I redid the sample as I wanted to see how faded it should be and it seems I've been pouring too much as I can still see the eye. As such the test can vary by quite a bit (~20 cya or so) and feels I can't trust what it is reading.

I've been using 10% liquid chlorine and it seems I need a bottle every 2 days or so. Half of bottle will get me around 2.5-3 chlorine and will need to do a full bottle over the course of two days to keep it around that. That sound about right?

I got a Maytronics M400 and the last 3 days of using it I love it. There is another jet hole that goes to a black Polaris pump. When we replaced the liner when we bought the house they kept it sealed and said it was an old cleaning system. Is there any scenario that is a better option than the Maytronics? I was planning on cutting the pipe below ground and capping it off if we are going to use a robot. Is there any other reason I would need it.

I have one skimmer and one drain, with the robot is there any reason to have the drain going. I thought about putting it to 100% skimmer so it would clean the surface better but concerned the drain may be used for circulation as well and not just cleaning. So I wasn't sure if I should just leave it 50/50. The robot has been doing great job keeping floor clean. It was dirty daily before getting it.

What tests should I do daily and what tests should I do weekly? I've been doing pH and chlorine drop daily and was planning on rest weekly but been doing a few more often as I was testing things and getting used to the test. I had to bring the pH down from 7.8-8.0 a couple of days ago with acid.

The only thing that would drop CH from 300 to 100 is draining more than half your water and refilling it with low CH water. Or testing error. Pool School - Extended Test Kit Directions

Here's some help on the CYA test, https://www.taylortechnologies.com/ChemistryTopicsCM.ASP?ContentID=36

Chlorine level is set based on CYA and the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA], keep it above minimum at all times to keep the pool properly sanitized.

No, cap it.

I like my pump suction set to about 80% skimmer and 20% drain.

CH, TA and CYA can move to monthly once you are comfortable.

Been using tfp system for two and a half weeks on our first pool and so far so good. I got the Tft-100 test kit with extra cya and cl testing regents. As of right now the water looks great and I don't see any issues. But I have concerns about proper testing and some questions.

When I first tested with the kit I had a hardness around 300 if I remember correctly. It is no around 75-100 depending if you count when it first turns blue or when it really is fully blue and not just a hint. What would cause it to drop that much? You are just better at doing the test now.

My full results are:

Fc 2.5 Too Low
Cc 1
Al 140
Cya 35-50 (see next question)
Ch 75-100
pH 7.4

The cya test confuses me. Yea welcome to the club -- its the most dificult test. Even Dave the guy that used to own TF Test Kits admits he has trouble with it. I initially did the sample test and then have been doing the test with the water weekly. The test says when you cannot see the black eye, but when I do the same and pour to 50 I can still see the eye, it is pretty faded but I can still see it. I've been doing the test until it is really gone but today I redid the sample as I wanted to see how faded it should be and it seems I've been pouring too much as I can still see the eye. As such the test can vary by quite a bit (~20 cya or so) and feels I can't trust what it is reading. Relax its its never going to be more acurite than a 10. Its always going to off a bit. One thing you can do is reuse the same test sample. Pour it back in the bottle and do it again. Get the wife and kids out to give you their opinion. I often do my test three time before I am satisfied.

I've been using 10% liquid chlorine and it seems I need a bottle every 2 days or so. Half of bottle will get me around 2.5-3 chlorine and will need to do a full bottle over the course of two days to keep it around that. That sound about right?
With 35K that is probably about right. But you need to raise your Cl to 4. Keep it between 4 and 6.

I got a Maytronics M400 and the last 3 days of using it I love it. There is another jet hole that goes to a black Polaris pump. When we replaced the liner when we bought the house they kept it sealed and said it was an old cleaning system. Its a booster pump. Is there any scenario that is a better option than the Maytronics? No. Robots are cheaper and clean as well or better, I was planning on cutting the pipe below ground and capping it off if we are going to use a robot. Is there any other reason I would need it. You may want to connect it up as an additional return. Cap it off in the pool so you don't have a algae nursery .

I have one skimmer and one drain, with the robot is there any reason to have the drain going. I thought about putting it to 100% skimmer so it would clean the surface better but concerned the drain may be used for circulation as well and not just cleaning. So I wasn't sure if I should just leave it 50/50. The robot has been doing great job keeping floor clean. It was dirty daily before getting it.

You don't need a main drain. I like the extra circulation it provides. How many returns do you have? Is the drain plumbed through the skimmer?. Its ok to experiment with shutting off the main drain.

What tests should I do daily and what tests should I do weekly? I've been doing pH and chlorine drop daily and was planning on rest weekly but been doing a few more often as I was testing things and getting used to the test. I had to bring the pH down from 7.8-8.0 a couple of days ago with acid.

As you learn the system and your pool Ph and chlorine levels every day. Alkalinity once a week and Ch and CYA once a month.

I have a Stenner pump ( a chemical dosing pump) for chlorine so i test once a week. Actually my 11 year old daughter tests. When she turns twelve we move on to using Pool Math and adding MA and Chlorine.

Let me be blunt. If you keep your pool in the cecomended range Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart You won't generally have a problem. Its amazing but the system works. Me a guy that sole knowlege of chemestry is how to evacuate the high school Chem lab has a beatufully balanced pool with very little work.

But relax.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.