Floating a Puck or 2

Jul 7, 2015
Edgewood, Texas
I will be gone for about a week and hoping to not come back to a swamp ....

Numbers tonight at 9:50:

FC 3.5
CC .5
CH 75
TA 100
pH 7.5
CYA 60 (a week ago, it was too dark to test)

My pump/filter and SWCG will be off during this time for the most part. I do have someone that will look in on the pool from time to time, remove debris if needed and maybe run the pump/filter some. They can possible added some bleach, but it will be guess work.

My plan tonight is to raise FC to 10 by adding 62 oz of bleach and putting a couple of pucks in the floater.

Any thoughts?

I would suggest running the pump and SWCG while you are gone. This is one of the major advantages of a SWCG pool - it will generate chlorine for you while you are gone, provided your salt cell is in good shape and the salt level is in the recommended range.

If you go solely with the high dose of bleach and a couple of pucks, you are risking FC dropping too low over a week's time, especially during June in Texas. The sun will be at its highest point in the sky over the northern hemisphere during the next week or so, meaning longer days and more intense UV rays. In addition, we are currently experiencing the first real heat of the season. This results in the highest rates of chlorine loss due to sunlight of the entire year. For example, if you start off with 10 ppm of FC before you leave and lose 30% of FC per day, it will be at around 1 ppm when you get back assuming no further additions are made. The pucks will help, but they are unlikely to fully dissolve over the course of a week and therefore will not release all of their chlorine content. Having someone add chlorine will help, but I would suggest providing them with some guidance on how much to add.

I have been having an issue with my pump/filter. I would like to leave it on (via timer) but when it comes on it doesn't pull water so I have to backwash or close the plunger valves and re-open then turn on the pump/filter. I can't run the risk of it coming on without pulling water and with no pump, that means no SWCG. Our pool is almost completely shaded all day so hopefully that will help. My dad will be checking on the pool and hopefully I can guide him through adding bleach at least a couple of times during the week. He also has a pool, but he uses the pool store method.:( He says he is changing to the TFP method when I return and can help him out.:D

If he can add some during the week you should be in good shape. If he could prime and run the pump for a day that would be even better. Maybe you could walk him through it by phone. All of that is good motivation to get it running correctly. I hope it goes well for you.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Every time I think I have things running smoothly something else causes an issue. We just installed the new pump/sand filter last weekend (had a small cartridge filter and our city water has too much iron in it). It has definitely cleared our water from the iron, but little things just keep testing my POP!:brickwall:

The pool survived!:whoot: My dad came over Tuesday night and ran the pump/sand filter and added about 8 cups of bleach. I got home a day or two earlier than planned so I was able to start the pump/sand filter and SWCG this morning and removed the floaters w/ pucks (they had not completely dissolved).

My family had a nice swim after I vacuumed and brushed!:swim:

I will test tonight and adjust accordingly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.