Constant HIGH Pressure in DE Filter 3620

Jun 17, 2016
tampa
Greetings everyone! Here is my pool information:

-10,000 gal pool with adjoining spa
-Hayward Ecostar pump sp3400vsp
-Hayward Pro‑Grid DE3620 DE Filter
-Hayward SP740DE Selecta-Flo Multi Valve

Here's the issue: If I bypass the filter and just run in 'bypass' mode the jets are have strong propulsion and water moves perfectly fine! The second I switch to filter mode, my pressure shoots straight to 22 PSI and then rather quickly climbs to 30-32 PSI within 30-45 mins. Jets then lose their propulsion and the whole operation pretty much just shuts down at a certain point and jets don't just stop working and then the filter pressure is almost 34 PSI.

All algae was killed when summer weather hit and all filtered out. I've backwashed many times and even took the grids out of the DE filter twice and hosed them down until they were absolutely spic and span clean. Then recharged with DE filter and then all is fine...for about 30-45 mins...and the whole cycle I described above starts all over again. I've been through this cycle probably 10-12 times at minimum and still the same thing happens...in filter mode the pressure builds to about 34 PSI on 30-45 mins and everything shuts down. I'm completely stumped!

I've put the Pinch-a-Penny pool lube on the pump basket O-ring seal, the pump drain plugs, the large O-ring on the DE filter and then drain plug on the DE Filter. There's NO air in the pump basket area where the see-through O-ring lid sits.

So with all this said, I am completely baffled as to what the problem is. I called Hayward and they said keep your chlorine levels up and just keep filtering and backwashing the dead algae. Check...did all that and continue to do so. All chemicals are correct in the pool and salt level. Reason I know is I've been taking my water to Pinch-a-Penny every day to have it checked. I even cleaned out the cell, which didn't have much debri in it and was rather clean. this pool and all equipment is about 2 years and 4 months old. So relatively new in my opinion. So I just cannot understand how I'm all of a sudden having this problem with filter pressure.

Is it that I'm getting air on the suction side somewhere and that's causing it? You guys know more than me so I'm just looking for anyone that knows how to resolve this or has experienced this before. Don't know what else to do at this point and we can't use our pool until we get this fixed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Please let me know if I need to provide any additional info to diagnose the issue. Thanks!

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: After reading your post, I have to say that I think your issue may still be related to a chemical issue and not mechanical. A big reason I say this is that you said you "had algae earlier, but then you said when summer hit it went away and was all filtered out". Unless you performed a TFP "SLAM" and confirmed it was complete with the proper test kit, I suspect the algae is still there clogging your filter. You just can't see it. It happens all the time.

The best thing you can do right now is obtain the proper test kit and not rely on the store to do testing. Most of the times their testing is not accurate at all. Here at TFP, we recommend one of two kits - either the TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C. Either is fine, but I recommend the TF-100 for its value. I would highly recommend that you get one of those kits and post a full set of water results for us, then we can help guide you in the right direction. Let us know if you have any more questions, and welcome to TFP!

If this is being caused by the filter clogging that quickly, you can use a skimmer sock or the hairnets in the skimmer. They will clog quickly and must be cleaned or changed to avoid starving the pump, but it would quickly tell you what you are dealing with. If it is algae you need to follow the slam procedure. Once you are sure you have killed ALL the algae, you can strain and filter it out of your water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.