Painting concrete deck.....

Feb 8, 2008
Milford, CT
I need to pressure wash my concrete pool deck, and it got me thinking I might want to paint it (better color, maybe even easier to clean).

Has anyone done this? Note my pool itself is not concrete (vinyl IG), just the "deck" around it.

Any product suggestions?

Thanks.

-Chris

andrewg said:
Personally, I have never liked painting concrete, especially exterior concrete. Once you paint it, you can't go back. It can peel and be a real headache down the road. Not sure what yours looks like, but maybe a power wash and then clear sealer coat.

Mine is a nice....concrete color :) Seriously though, its probably something that was colored in the concrete itself, as there is a slight tan tint to it.

I need to patch some cracks first, and figured the patches would never match correctly and maybe painting would be an answer, but maybe not. Wonder if I can go with a colored sealer that might be able to match the patches up a little better.

chrisexv6 said:
andrewg said:
Personally, I have never liked painting concrete, especially exterior concrete. Once you paint it, you can't go back. It can peel and be a real headache down the road. Not sure what yours looks like, but maybe a power wash and then clear sealer coat.

Mine is a nice....concrete color :) Seriously though, its probably something that was colored in the concrete itself, as there is a slight tan tint to it.

I need to patch some cracks first, and figured the patches would never match correctly and maybe painting would be an answer, but maybe not. Wonder if I can go with a colored sealer that might be able to match the patches up a little better.

careful with the sealer -- very slippery. I have had the 'grit' put in it twice in 2 months and it's still a bit slippery. It has a texture, but beads the water so much it's always wet.... not like a basic sand-blasted concrete that the water soaks into.

Steve

We used Patio Tones a few years ago, and it worked great and has held up. There are several colors to choose from. We did the prep work that was recommended and rolled it on. We have a large deck area, but it was no big deal, and I'm a very particular painter.

I remember that we used TSP, don't remember about muriatic acid, but it's been a while. Anyway, no tips about keeping it out of the pool. In many places, our deck slopes toward the pool, so we did have stuff go in there. We were careful, but there was no way around it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.