New Hayward Swimpure plus issues???

Jul 2, 2014
Hudson, wi
Hi,

As the title states I have a new swimpure plus and seem to be having issues. I have had installed for 2 weeks now and running about a week and a half. I checked it the other day and noticed that the amps were 0.....odd. I reset it and it was working fine. I checked it again tonight and again the amps were at 0. Why does this keep shutting off? Should it be doing this? All the lights are good with no warning lights when it is at 0. Do these units kick in and out and not run constantly? noob here looking for advice before I call Hayward. Thanks

All SWGs cycle on and off. It works something like a microwave, power to the cell is switched on and off in proportion to the control setting. The % control simply determines how much of the time the cell is being powered. Just coincidentally you probably checked during a time the cell was not being powered.

I too have a new Hayward SwimPure+ control unit [replaced old Autopilot system]. I also got a new Pentaire 3 HP Variable Speed Pool Pump. The pump of course is programmable and can turn on by itself. The installer hooked it up to the existing Intex timer that powered the old equipment. As a result - the timer is now manually "ON". This is OK for the new pump but it also leaves the Hayward controller and Salt Cell "ON". My concern - what will happen to cell if it is left powered on 16hrs/day - day after day - when pump is OFF and there is NO FLOW. Will cell fail?.... or incur a reduced operating life.

The pump should be connected to the supply (hot) side of the timer, so that its powered at all times and switched by the onboard controller. The SWG should be connected to the switched side so that it is controlled by the timer. The timer should be set to power the SWG only during a time that you know the pump will be running.

There is a flow switch that turns off the SWG if it detects a no flow situation, but it is there only as a safety device and should not be relied upon as a primary switching device. A SWG generates gasses when operating, and with no water flowing have been known to EXPLODE!

There are several stories on the forum about exploding SWGs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.