Haywood Skimmer Installation...and questions

Jul 16, 2015
Santucky, CA
I have a 9x18 Bestway / Intex Costco Pool.

I'm upgrading this year.... I have questions about the skimmer and placement.

Sorry for the sideways pic....I was thinking it should be higher, rather than centered, like pic2. Mainly because the hole area is reinforced and this would leave more of the reinforcement area at the bottom, where the weight will be disbursed....but I'm not certain....I'm hoping that someone that has installed this can chime in and provide a suggestion or 2.

Skimmer Centered.jpg

Skimmer High.jpg

Thanks!

I picked a spot for my skimmer about 24 inches away from my closest precut opening and made a new hole. The spot is not reinforced, and the liner has been ok. To lose the least depth, put the skimmer as high up the pool wall as you can.

- - - Updated - - -

Remember the skimmers work best when the water line is halfway up the skimmer's mouth.

I did the same as philc said last year with my Intex I had. I made a new opening and had the lower OE opening tied into my suction line. Using a y fitting. I had a ball valve which I used to limit the amount the OE below surface inlet fed the filter. My reasoning was once something was no longer a floater the below surface inlet might catch some of it before it ended up on the bottom. You'd be surprised how much hair, leaf debris, and bugs the lower one caught. I put my skimmer up where the top of the inside ring was just below the factory seam. like stated, the water level will be about midway on skimmer.

Whoa, you should NOT put it down there! You will lose half the depth of your pool! There are tens of threads and hundreds of pictures in this forum showing how to do this. Spend some time searching and learning before you make the cut. You should put the skimmer as high as possible, never mind the existing holes.

Whoa, you should NOT put it down there! You will lose half the depth of your pool! There are tens of threads and hundreds of pictures in this forum showing how to do this. Spend some time searching and learning before you make the cut. You should put the skimmer as high as possible, never mind the existing holes.

Absolutely, it needs to be as high as possible on the wall.:paddle:

Thanks all!
Not certain why I didn't get email responses, but I did install it as high as possible on the existing hole. I didn't lose much depth...maybe an inch. I found that due to the bowing of the pool, I have to keep the water quite filled anyway, so it worked out. I'll get pics soon.

In the meantime, I've also upgraded to the 2800gph pump and Intex vacuum.

I ordered the parts to hard plumb my new upgrades.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.