frustrated. SLAM taking foreva! and mustard algae?

dody

Jun 27, 2015
jenks, ok
so, i'm on day 10 of a slam, and the water is clear (imho), i'm getting lots of sparkle, but i still can't pass the overnight test. i'm brushing/vacuuming twice a day (every square inch, i promise!), cleaning the cartridge filter every other day, and checking the fc levels at least 4 times a day. i'm tired. :( i'm almost out of the powder, and have more being sent, but i'm not sure if it will get here before i run out.....

There's also something on the floor/walls, that just isn't going away. not sure if it's metal or algae. we've had issues with metal in the past (thanks pool store guy!) back when my husband was in charge of the pool. when i scrub on it nothing happens.
20160617_171145.jpg20160617_171004.jpg

anyhoo- i'm stumped. there are probably 20 empty jugs of bleach in my trash can, and the trash guys will probably think i've cleaned up a crime scene.

i just really don't know what to do. i'm so frustrated and disheartened. and my husband is thinking this process isn't working, and we should go back to the old way of doing things. any thoughts? i'm desperate, please encourage me.

i was under the impression that i wasn't to test anything but the chlorine and the cya while in slam. the cya is at 30, so, i'm trying to maintain a 12 on the chlorine.

these are the #'s before i started the slam.

FC-7
CC-5
TC- 12
PH- 7.2
CH- 300
TA- 180
CYA- 0

IMO (and this is just what I have done) I use the numbers on the chart as a minimum. If you aren't going to be swimming in it while you slam keep it above 12 for CYA of 30. If you are going to be using the pol during the slam use the 12 as a max while in use. If you hit it hard it knocks out the algae faster. Sounds like you are not keeping the Fc up enough to take care of the algae. Also I go by my pressure gage to tell me when to clean out my filter, when pressure increases 3psi or so I do a quick backflush (sand filter). I just went through a lot more gallons of 12.5% slamming mine. stay with it.

Can you take a picture of the whole pool ~ so we can see what you see looking in? A view picture from a bit of a distance that shows the pool and the water, but not right down in the water.

When did you add the CYA?

The "stuff" on the walls does it have any texture to it, is it slimy, if your eyes are closed can you tell just by feel you have touch a spot of the "stuff"

Your chlorine I know you said you had a ton of jugs in the trash ~ might have possibly made the crime scene alert list. Is your liquid chlorine "fresh", stored out of the sun and heat?

You are out of powder, what type of powder?

You had trouble with metals in the past, how long ago? Was it this same water?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
20160617_190515.jpg20160617_190443.jpg

here she is from above, sorry about the shadows from the trees.

to your questions: i added the cya the night of the 6th, and started slamming the morning of the 7th.

I can feel no difference with the "stuff".

most of the bleach was fresh-ish. i had a few jugs of bleach that i found out later were old. :( however, the past few days, i've been using bleach with a 2016162 date on them.

the powder i'm almost out of is the DPD powder.

yes and no and maybe it's the same water? lol.... last year when we had the issue, we emptied and refilled half the pool. this year, husband didn't tighten down a hose well enough, and the pool half drained itself. I'd say no, it's not the same water, but obviously, i have no idea what i'm talking about. ;)

Ok ~ how about testing the CYA again since you added it the 6th ~ if you haven't already to verify that is is sitting at 30.

It's a pool with a ladder you just introduced and that skimmer. Can you really work on the nooks and crannies of that skimmer box~ toothbrush it if possible.

Also is there by chance wrinkles on the bottom that could be holding some nasties?

i checked the cya on the 11th (wanted to make sure it got up to 30), but i'll check it again. i've got a hand brush for the skimmer, but there's a couple of spot that're really really hard to get at, right under the bladder, and right up against the wall. i'll use my grand daughters toothbrush, she'll never know. bwahaha. there are some wrinkles on the bottom. i try to make sure i scrub em good, but who knows, that's a possibility.

so, i could still be having these issues from those spots? mercy me.... i may never get this thing cleared.... yikes! ;)

Yes, Where all my edges seal around my stairs I take the brush edge to get in the small cracks and there is a ton of stuff in there. If not taken care of it will just hang around until the Fc drops and then bloom like you wouldn't believe.....or maybe you can. keep at it. I do my deep cleaning by hand when I am in the pool, then raise the FC up again.

ok, then. i'll just keep at it. and i'll tell my husband that we're sticking with this method until further notice. i do the same, work with the burshed in the pool, get out, test and raise FC, wait a few hours, wash, rinse, repeat....

If you verified the 30 probably no reason to test again as you haven't done a water change.

I would have to think the nasties have to be associated with the skimmer box.

You'll definitely get it and once you do it will be smooth sailing and honestly so much more economical to maintain ~ it's just right now you have some seriously secretive funk in there that needs found and blasted out.

Please keep us posted as you go

I am pleading the 5th if Granddaughter questions about the toothbrush, lol!

if said crud is stains and it's organic, elevated FC levels could lift it.
if said crud is metal staining I don't know how they lift the metal stains, I am sorry about that.

now if said crud is matter moving on the bottom that's your whole issue.

I can't really see the bottom I do notice the reflection of the trees but I can't see anything on the bottom.

If it's a stock cartridge filter it will take longer to clear. Is that asoft-sided pool? It might be stained, but could clear up if you maintain your FC correctly.

Did you test the CYA to verify what you added took it to 30?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.