New home, first time pool owner

Jun 17, 2016
Ozark, MO
Just wanted to know if I'm on the right track and what I should do next, water looks terrible and all that gunk in the middle even with filter on.

Trying to open my above ground pool that was here when I bought the house. I'm using the BBB method currently and have my readings at.

I've been using the HTH 6way Test Kit which only goes up to 5 and I don't know if that measures TC or FC
FC - ~6 (Color is a little darker than the max color)
CC or TC - TC might be 6 if HTH 6way measures that instead of FC
pH - ~7.05
TA - ~90
CH - Didn't test, read above ground vinyl pools don't care?
CYA - ~50 to 60 I can kind of see the black dot at 55 barely and I can't see it at all 100% at 40 (Pool is in direct sunlight most of the day)

The pump and filter are brand new, just bought them. I've had the filter on for about 3 days and skimmed as much off the top as I could. I can tell there is a big clump of brown stuff (I guess leaves and dirt) in the center in a circle shape at the bottom of the pool. The water is blue, but very very very cloudy.

I've added a bunch of bleach, baking soda, washing soda, and some borax to try and get my numbers up.
Originally I had my HTH 6way measure
FC or TC - < .5
pH - < 6.8
TA - ~20
CH - Never tested
CYA - ~50 to 60

I feel like I need to invest in a Taylor K-2006 or TF100, but I don't want to feel like I wasted my 20$ on the HTH one.

I'd prefer the K-2006 since I can get that off amazon with quick prime shipping for $58. The TF-100 I can't find for less than $85 after shipping.

Get one of the recommended test kits. Fill ot the info about your pool so we can give you better help. Pump, filter size and how you chlorinate.

Get all the gunk out. Use a net vacuum to waste or something. But get the gunk out.

Once the gunk is out and you have the right test kit SLAM !!! The directions are in pool school. SLAM until you pass the OCLT, also described in pool school.

Post some pictures and get one of the test kits. Without one of the recomended test kits all you are doing is guessing and spending money.

i am confused by this. Would you please clarify? Thanks!

The CYA test involves dropping drops and stopping when you can't see the dot at the bottom. I could not tell if it meant literally not at all or when it's just hard to see it. The sunlight comment was because I've seen that it's ok to have higher CYA in heavy sunlight?

- - - Updated - - -

So probably not 60 probably 45-55 is my best guess.

I did, ordered the Tf100 XL option. I'll retest everything when it gets here. I'll be cleaning it up the best I can, but I can't really see the bottom other than the clumped up brown. I found some 10% liquid chlorine at Walmart in 128oz jugs for $2.50 which seemed to be the cheapest considering percent I could find. So just add a half every day until it gets here, clean it daily, then test and then SLAM?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.