New to the forum and starting a new build

May 22, 2009
Columbia, SC
Hi all. I have succumbed to my wife and allowed a pool to be put in my backyard. I grew up with a pool and know it will be me out there cleaning it in the winter /sigh (c;

After much thought and deliberation, I think this is what I want to do and would be interested in any thoughts or comments.

I live in Columbia, SC.

16x34x25 (Lagoon) Vinyl IG pool. 6' deep, the spec sheet for the pool lists it at 14800 gallons. Intelli Chlor SWG, 320 C&C Plus filter, Intelli Flo pump, Pentair Legend cleaner. I have prices but no model numbers for the pump, etc.

Pics of the tree rmoval are here http://picasaweb.google.com/cjyarborough/TheNewPool?authkey=Gv1sRgCNzpgPO57t7DwQE#

First, a big welcome to the forum. We all truly like new builds and hope you'll pepper us with lots of questions and lots of pictures.

and know it will be me out there cleaning it in the winter /sigh
Yeah, been there done that! My wife said if I built it, she would maintain it.......once again proving the superior brainpower of the female :roll: :roll:

and so it begins (Monday morning):

IMG_0834.jpg

and ends (Monday Morning):

IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg

22 tons of rock were ordered but late so the digger left to go dig another pool (which ended up being worse of a dig than mine).

Tuesday morning things get moving again:

IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

IMG_0850.jpg

I remeber the mess well. When its said and done the amount of time looking at dirt piles was worth it. Pool School at the top of the page is well worth the time spent now. Get a good test kit, also spelled out in Pool School.

You'll love your IC-40. And YES, get a good test kit...worth the weight in gold. TFP really got me well on my way with new pool water this spring....now the SWG is doing its thing (but I still test all the time), and the pool is happy (me, too). :party:

Thanks all. I've read Pool School twice now and forwarded it along to my Dad for his pool as well. I'm planning on getting the TF kit after comparing the options. I wonder if I can get my PB to give me that one instead (c;
As we speak the frame is being installed and the collar is supposed to be poured today since Noah called and said my ark was a bit off schedule. I'm hoping the impending weather will be like one of our many "snow days" this year. I'll get pictures up on the frame tonight or tomorrow.
Concrete sub is meeting me at the house in the morning to price out my decking.

Butterfly, I was in the neighbors pool after work with my two sons. 86 doesn't seem as warm as I remembered, especially when the sun is down (c; As a child I remember as soon as the pool at 68 we were in it.

awarsoca said:
Butterfly, I was in the neighbors pool after work with my two sons. 86 doesn't seem as warm as I remembered, especially when the sun is down (c; As a child I remember as soon as the pool at 68 we were in it.
Yep, I know exactly what you mean. The older I get the warmer I want my pool! :mrgreen:

and so at 0715 this morning the doorbell rings. I'm up but haven't even hardly had the coffee in my system and the doorbell rings. THis picture is about 30 minutes later:
IMG_0877.JPG

IMG_0878.JPG

Pool Base completed:
IMG_0879.JPG

IMG_0880.JPG

pulling the liner:
IMG_0883.JPG

taping the vacuum on:
IMG_0885.JPG

IMG_0886.JPG

IMG_0889.JPG

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Coming along pretty quickly. On mine after the back fill, I ran a soaker hose around the pool. The amount of settling was impressive, especially around the steps. Many wheelbarrows of dirt to fill it in. Just something I did.

me and the garden hoses and my old boots are going to get real familiar with the dirt around my bool soon (c:
My neighbor and my concrete guy (i subbed the 'rete myself) all have told me to soak the dirt and help compact it before we form and pour the deck.

Brad S said:
Ever thought about flowable back fill? It reaches maximum compaction in 24 hours and you dont have to worry about settling.

I hadn't but I wish i had earlier in the process. Would save on the headache. The good news iI have a lot of sandy soil with some clay and kaolin mixed in in a large pile in my yard. I am also lucky enought that my PB is doing another job in my neighborhood and that site has to haul dirt off. They have already paid for some to be hauled off and now if I need some extra red clay, I can get it this week :p

Brad S said:
Ever thought about flowable back fill? It reaches maximum compaction in 24 hours and you dont have to worry about settling.

Care to elaborate?

Its a concrete type product. It 's brought in a concrete truck and flows like cement. However, it doesnt set up like cement. You can dig it out just like dirt at anytime.
You can order it with variable strengths that allow excavation with a tool as easy as a shovel or as large as a 300 excavator.

http://www.flowablefill.org/

Brad S said:
Its a concrete type product. It 's brought in a concrete truck and flows like cement. However, it doesnt set up like cement. You can dig it out just like dirt at anytime.
You can order it with variable strengths that allow excavation with a tool as easy as a shovel or as large as a 300 excavator.

http://www.flowablefill.org/

Priced it yesterday at $70-$85 a cubic yard + pump + cleanup for me so it was a no go )c:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.