New member from Piedmont, OK

Jun 17, 2016
Central OK
Hi my name is Kitty and I hope you can help me with the big problem I am having this year!

This is my 3rd season using this pool. I've never had a problem till this year. I live in OK and yes it is very hot but that is nothing new. The water is very cloudy and nothing seems to make it clear this year. Here is the latest test results when I had it checked at the hardware store.

Free Chlorine 0.9
total chlorine 0.9
combined chlorine 0.0
pH 7.2
Hardness 278 ppm
Alkalinity 82 ppm
Cyanuric acid 8 ppm
copper 0.2 ppm
Iron 1.2 ppm

They recommended 1# shock, 3oz of clarifier and 3#2oz stabilizer I did that last night ran the filter all night again and still cloudy water. I've tested the salt level in the pool with test strips and it shows within range at 2900 but my salt water system keeps giving me the low salt light.

Please help, I'm ready to drain the pool and get rid of it.

How do you normally test your water? You need to order one of our recommended test kits in Pool School (TF100). Is that 32 ounces of stabilizer you added? If so, it should raise your CYA to 45 or so. We recommend 70 to 80 for a SWG system.

See this link: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

I would use PoolMath (radio button at top of page) and use liquid bleach to raise your FC to 8 to help your SWG "catch up" and never let it fall below 4. Your pool appears to be 6,000 gallons. Should take about 72 ounces of Walmart 8.25% plain bleach.

That was 3 pounds 2 ounces (half a bucket of O-ACE-sis Chlorine stabilizer) As of tonight it is still cloudy. So the bleach you mentioned is in the pool section at Walmart?

- - - Updated - - -

I do have test strips that I use to test my water when I don't take it to the pool store. I use the hth 6 way test strips and also the 3 way test kit. Until this year I have had no problems at all.

The bleach he mentioned IS in the pool section at WalMart... it is what I use

And Welcome to the better way to maintain your pool :) ... get the test kit he mentioned, and stop using the pool store to test your water.