Proper CYA level

pushin glass

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 16, 2016
East Central MS
The climate in which I lived previously was not as hot and did not have the direct sunlight experienced here in central MS (i.e. further north). I used to maintain my CYA between 30-50 ppm, and this is what pool school recommends. In an environment with greater temperatures and more direct sunlight, should the CYA be maintained a little higher to help protect the chlorine? Say 60-80 ppm? Curious as to your thoughts. Thanks.

Try 60ppm first and see how that affects your FC each day. If you feel you are having to add to frequently (assuming your daily FC loss isn't too high and due to an algae problem) then increase to 70ppm.

...and your water is sparkling clear...right? If you start testing with the FAS-DPD test and your FC drops more, and your CCs rise up it says something is in your water chewing up your FC. Always be on the look-out for that.

Good job ordering the FAS-DPD tester!

I'm actually losing somewhere between 6-8 ppm FC per day. It's clear to 4-5 feet, but has never fully cleared since opening this year. My CC is only 0.29. The previous owner had painted it and all of those paint chips are now flaking off. Perhaps could be contributing to cloudiness? I'm wondering if I should raise my CYA a little due to the sunlight, heat, and FC loss. Also, if in really hot and sunny environments the CYA should be above 50, why does Pool school not mention this?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Depending on the type of paint used, you may not be able to pass an OCLT but it is still worth doing. The chipping paint represents a constant debris load but it could also be adding to your chlorine demand as well. See what the OCLT tells you and we'll try to help you figure this out.

I got my answer (at least part of it). I came home from work yesterday afternoon and my FC was 1. There was obviously something in the water chewing up my chlorine. So I started a slam. The water already looks better this morning. That being said, I know it will be a constant battle with the chipping paint until the pool is resurfaced next year. I hate pool paint.

The water is now clear and I can see the bottom of the deep end. Took my sand filter about five days to clean up. Using a lot less chlorine as well. Seems I did have some residual algae since opening that is hopefully now gone for the season. Thanks for the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.