Newbie builder of freeform pool question

May 29, 2016
ada, mo
Hello all! This will be my first pool ever. I am getting a freeform 18x38 pool. I am measuring the pool as they just sprayed the outline of it. Should the smallest point to point be the 18 feet across or is that the largest point the 18 feet? I have measured the smallest point to point and its 16.5 feet across.

Thanks for any help!

Most of the plans for free form pools I have seen mark point in the deep end and have a radius from the point to four points on the edge that indicate the LxW. These edge points are not necessary in a straight line across from each other going through the fixed spot indicated in the deep end. From what I have seen, usually from the spot marked in the deep end show measured lines drawn out to the furthest point on the edge. So your 18x38 might actually measure smaller if using straight lines.

Difficult to tell for certain, but the spray-painted lines marking the waterline look to me like they match up with the curves on the drawing. Do you have an engineered drawing with measurements that you can compare to your actual measurements? If you are concerned, talk with your pool-builder about it. Remember that the layout always looks smaller than it will look once the hole is dug.

It would be the longest point across, but only the longest point across that is generally a straight shot from one side to the other, i.e. nothing diagonal to get the numbers. So the way I'd measure your short dimension is from the middle of the lower left arc to the middle of the top right arc.

So said another way - longest measurement a straight line forms in a lengthwise and width-wise direction. Ultimately the goal from their perspective is to make the pool sound as big as possible. An 18 x 38 free form pool is significantly smaller in volume than an 18 x 38 rectangle.

Thank you! It is difficult to tell with the picture. In person it looks like the left side of the pool is a lot smaller than the drawing. This is the only drawing they gave me. I will talk to him about my worries. Guess Im just nervous I want it to all go right.

It does appear to maybe be a little bit smaller, but that could be the angle at which you're looking at it too!

Here's the thing - if you don't like it, for whatever reason, now is the time to invite them back out to discuss it and respray it more like you want it! Spraypaint is easy to move (it may change your cost a little though, heads up!), the pool after it's built is forever. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.