New Intex dual suction outlet... please help

Jun 17, 2016
Lake Elsinore, CA
I replaced my old 18ft ultra frame with a new one to replace liner since it was cheaper (bad idea). Well the new one has a "dual suction outlet" which makes connecting it the usual way difficult. Im not savvy on plumbing/pool "how to do's" and not understanding other posts on this same subject. Ive always used the larger hoses and used a small adapter for my Hayward pump since its a tad bit smaller. This pool has 2 outlets and are about 1 inch, I can cut the liner and make bigger like the other suggestions, thats not a problem but I dont understand the second port. Others have connected the hayward side skimmer, but I am afraid to cut a hole that big where I may damage or ruin the liner plus my pump only takes one hose. Im thinking capping it off is ideal... but will those little black rubber (plungers) hold and not disconnect. I need to get this pool going and open to your suggestions and opinions... Please I need help.

Did your new pool come with the little black rubber stoppers that look like a little hat? Those work to cap off the flow of water. I did this on one of my inlets to allow for better suction on my skimmer.

Reply To "Did your new pool come with the little black rubber stoppers that look like a little hat? Those work to cap off the flow of water. I did this on one of my inlets to allow for better suction on my skimmer."

Yes it did... which makes me believe this is my best option here. I dont understand two ports for hoses that need to be hooked up to 1 pump. Thank You

New Intex 1.jpgNew intex 2.jpgnew intex 3.jpg Here are the pictures. Ruining it would because id cut too big, leaks, and have nothing to hook it up to. Because I have nothing hard plumbed (is that the right term?) none of the examples Ive seen help me. :( I dont want those little hoses and then connect to make a "T figure" for my pump. I run a larger pump but it still only has 1 port for a connecting outlet hose. I have the little rubber stoppers, Im thinking this is my best bet to plug one port. Thanks for your response.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you just want to get pool up and running and not hardplumb or add skimmer, all you need to do is connect the two smaller hoses to the plunger valve as shown in the picture and then run the one hose to the pump, just like your old pool. Not sure what the problem is?

There are two outlet lines (ports or holes) from the pool to the pump for legal reasons. Two outlets splits the suction of each port in half. That makes it less likely that a young child could be held below the water line. Regardless..
Your pool kit came with a plunger valve that the two hose lines from the pool connect to. It's called a split plunger valve. Then from that connection, out from the bottom of the split plunger valve, one single hose goes to the pump. Just like in the diagram.

The black plug/cap you're talking about comes with your pool kit and goes on the inside of the pool on one of strainers on one of the suction lines. Then only one of the outlet ports actually sucks water from the pool, through the plunger valve and to the pump. There really isn't much difference in how water is circulated, regardless of the size of your pump whether there are two suction lines or one. (Except of course, the relative safety it provides by splitting the pumps suction between two hose lines in the pool instead of a single suction line.)

Having the suction split into two hoses at the pool affects your ability to vacuum efficiently. Or, if you attach a skimmer and have two outlets the skimmer will be less efficient.

The two hoses from the pool, to the plunger valve, to the pump work the same as one line from the pool to the pump.
If your not going to use the two suction lines and the hoses at all and you're going to cut in a through wall skimmer, then, the black plugs/caps need to be used to plug the two small suction lines.

May an amateur pool owner make a suggestion? Maybe you could set it up as the instructions say, make sure everything works, see what the two suction lines do, and then make any plumbing changes you want sometime after that? It seems it's not that difficult to make changes while the pool has water in it....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 660
If you just want to get pool up and running and not hardplumb or add skimmer, all you need to do is connect the two smaller hoses to the plunger valve as shown in the picture and then run the one hose to the pump, just like your old pool. Not sure what the problem is?

Because I don't want to use the little small hoses, rather use the larger in diameter... For Water flow. Of course I can set it up like the pic, that's not a problem. I'm plugging the other side I don't see any other way. Thank you.

There are two outlet lines (ports or holes) from the pool to the pump for legal reasons. Two outlets splits the suction of each port in half. That makes it less likely that a young child could be held below the water line. Regardless..
Your pool kit came with a plunger valve that the two hose lines from the pool connect to. It's called a split plunger valve. Then from that connection, out from the bottom of the split plunger valve, one single hose goes to the pump. Just like in the diagram.

The black plug/cap you're talking about comes with your pool kit and goes on the inside of the pool on one of strainers on one of the suction lines. Then only one of the outlet ports actually sucks water from the pool, through the plunger valve and to the pump. There really isn't much difference in how water is circulated, regardless of the size of your pump whether there are two suction lines or one. (Except of course, the relative safety it provides by splitting the pumps suction between two hose lines in the pool instead of a single suction line.)

Having the suction split into two hoses at the pool affects your ability to vacuum efficiently. Or, if you attach a skimmer and have two outlets the skimmer will be less efficient.

The two hoses from the pool, to the plunger valve, to the pump work the same as one line from the pool to the pump.
If your not going to use the two suction lines and the hoses at all and you're going to cut in a through wall skimmer, then, the black plugs/caps need to be used to plug the two small suction lines.

May an amateur pool owner make a suggestion? Maybe you could set it up as the instructions say, make sure everything works, see what the two suction lines do, and then make any plumbing changes you want sometime after that? It seems it's not that difficult to make changes while the pool has water in it....

Thank you. Your pool is bigger Than mine and if Your not having problems with water flow then I guess this option isn't to bad. Because our summers are really hot im afraid that the 2 small hoses wernt enough water flow. I can zip tie the splitter in place (yours looks in place) so my dogs dont get tangled in the T figure. Hope over the summer I'll be able to understand the strainer part and how too hook it up, maybe they have the 2 inch splitter "plunger valve" like the smaller ones they include (I have several 2 inch single plunger valves).
Thank you for your detailed response, I appreciate it.

If you plug one of the existing outlets you will get less flow, not more. (Half, in fact). If you want better flow through larger hoses you need to get the larger strainers Large Strainer - Intex and cut larger holes. You either plug one of the outlets and run one hose to the pump or you replace the plunger valve with a T.

I have that same strainer from my other pool... I am going to use that one, cut a hole and plug the other side. Until I can find an Intex T plunger valve for the larger hose Im stuck... at that point I can add the Hayward strainer everyone is talking about. Thanks for all the help...Im adding water tonight.

We upgraded our pump and hoses to the larger ones buy buying stuff from Amazon. We bought these Amazon.com: Intex Pool Strainer and Inlet Assembly Kit for Large Above Ground Pools: Patio, Lawn Garden it comes with one inlet and one outlet strainer. They also sell the outlet strainers separately here, with the plunger.

Then you just cut the holes a little larger and attach these plunger valves so you can stop the flow of water into the pump to clean the cartridge, etc. Amazon.com : Intex 10747 Large Pool Plunger Valve Assembly : Swimming Pool Pump Accessories : Patio, Lawn Garden

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.