Statesboro, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
After using your website for some time and having great results, I need some help. I love your site, it is awesome! I've had woes since I opened the pool March 12, this year. I've gotten to very good levels a few times, but then the big rains (2"-4") come along, add in our extreme heat and it's hard to keep my levels right. I was sick and in the bed for a few days and now I can't seem to get my levels consistent. I turned my system on early today at 6:30 AM because quick test with strip at that time I had 0.0 FC and slight CC) I usually run everything from 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM. My results with my Taylor test kit at 9:30 this morning are:
FC 1.2
CC .6
PH 7.5
TA 60
CH 100
CYA 65
Salt 2800 (This is using aquachek strip test. Every time I use the taylor drop test and compare to the strip, the drop test is consistantly 400-600 higher than strip test)
Borates 15 ( This is what it seems to be according to the LaMotte test strip. I have not added any borates. I just got my boric acid from Duda, but I can't get levels right to start adding it.)
Temp 89 degrees

Two days ago, all levels were good, but had 1.0 CC. This has been a problem for weeks, along with seeing some algae, so after thinking I had shocked it enough, I added SeaKlear 90 algaecide, brushed and vacuumed to waste, etc. The whole treatment. I know that was probably a mistake, as I obviously had not got to slam levels. But, I did add it. :( Yesterday, the levels were still pretty consistent, but unfortunately due to extreme heat and no rain, I had to add about 2 1/2 inches of water. My pool has always crystal clear, still is, but when I saw the small area of algae after a huge rain, I attacked it. Never had problems with it before.
I used the pool calculator this morning so I know what I need to add, but at this point I'm frustrated and would appreciate some advice on what to do and in what order. Other than a small chance of rain today, there is none in our forecast for over a week. That could change daily though. Our temps will be over 100 today, and high 90's generally. By this afternoon, my pool temp will be around 92 or possibly higher. There is full sun on the pool for approx. 10 hours daily.

Thank you so much,
Carol

Hi Carol and welcome to TFP! :wave: Well, it's simple really .. you have algae so you need to "SLAM" (link below) using regular bleach. Nothing else. The algaecide was not ideal, and hopefully not enough to add too much metals to your water. But you need to lower your pH to about 7.2 then increase that FC up to "28" right away. Follow all of the instructions on the SLAM page and you'll do fine. Let us know if you have any questiosn about the process.

Thank you so much! I just got my bleach and was ready, but thankful you told me to lower PH. I wouldn't have done that. I will let you know how it goes in a few days.

I've had it on recirculate this afternoon while getting to 28. Brushed after first addition. We have a storm coming in. Should I leave it on recirculate this evening?

You can leave it on recirculate if needed. That's especially helpful in a really dirty pool where the chance of increased filter pressure could build while you're away (i.e. at work or asleep). But when you're able to watch the system, switch back to filter so it can begin to catch the residual algae and materials being killed by the chlorine.

Please read the SLAM process, lowering PH to 7.2 is only one of several steps. All steps need to be followed to be successful. SLAM Process

Honestly, I read it, printed it and have it with my testing supplies. It reads lower PH between 7.2 and 7.5. It's highly possible I misinterpreted, but I read that as any where from 7.2 - 7.5. But, when Texas Splash told me 7.2 I changed it on my printout. I appreciate the help.
Quick follow up...6:30 AM FC 21 CC 1.0... added 107oz. 10%. Will keep at 28 today and do OCLT again tonight. I know not to test PH while slamming, but should I be testing anything other than FC & CC?
PS: I never loved my speed stir more than now!

Great, thanks! Just got through brushing, scrubbing skimmers and jets, and after a bit I vacuumed. My cc is down some and still adding bleach, but less each time. I feel really blessed today after working in that heat yesterday... It's 80 degrees outside and cloudy! Y'all have a good day! :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Texas Splash and pooldv! I have completed the slam, successfully passing all three requirements! Happy lady here! :D I'm ready to make adjustments and turn the swg back on. I've checked my FC/CC three times since 6:30 AM. It's dropping at about 1.5 - 2.0 ppm per hour. Temps are steady rising. These are my last readings. 1:15PM
fc 17.0
cc 0
ph 7.5
ta 80
ch 110
cya 60
salt 3000
borates 0

Adding cya and salt. Will start swg when time. I read the article on adding borates, but at this point question when and should I lower TA?

Last edited:
I want to thank you again and tell you to disregard the last question about the borates. I kept reading and found all the answers in the "Chemistry 201" forum. Our pool looks great, and never again will I ask the question "is it sand or algae"! Just because your pool is clear doesn't mean it is! Trust your test results! :lovetfp: :salut:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.